Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong apple ID comes up in App Store

On my iMac I was just updating a few apps and it asked for my user ID and passcode. But the user ID it shows is my wife's not mine. The user ID isn't clickable, it's greyed out so I can't change it to mine. I logged out and logged back in but that didn't seem to change anything. Anyone know where this is stored, can be changed etc? I looked in System Preferences in iCloud but that doesn't seem to be the place.

thanks!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Feb 10, 2017 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2017 2:52 PM

Right - it is asking for the passcode of the Apple ID that purchased the item that is being updated. You cannot update that app via any other Apple ID. Your options are to type in your wife's password, or to delete the app, and redownload it under your own Apple ID.

Cheers,

GB

6 replies

Feb 10, 2017 8:03 PM in response to Meetoo

The way for the updates not to appear would be to delete the apps. Go to the LaunchPad (the icon with the little rocket ship in your dock), and click and hold on any icon. When they start to wiggle, click on the "x" in the upper left-hand corner of the the apps you want to remove.

To get the apps, open the Mac App Store app. Make sure your Apple ID is signed in (Store>Sign In), then click on the Purchased tab to make sure that those apps are not already showing under your purchased apps. If they are, then click on Download to download your versions to the Mac. If they do not, then type the App name in the search bar so it comes up in the App Store. You can then purchase it from there.

Cheers,

GB

Feb 10, 2017 9:34 PM in response to Meetoo

Yeah, I had a problem with an app I purchased, then contacted Apple to get it deleted and get refunded. They deleted it and refunded it, but then I got an update for it (eyeroll). I had to contact iTunes Support to get it straightened out. You might want to do the same to save yourself a headache! iTunes Support WorldWide.

Oh, and I had to explain the issue to the support person who contacted me via email again to get it resolved. Very nice person, but clearly a front-liner. But once they understood the issue, it got resolved immediately.

Best of luck,

GB

Feb 10, 2017 3:55 PM in response to gail from maine

Thanks GB. That makes sense, it seemed to update things I have used, like Pages, but there were updates for some which I don't think I've ever used, like Keynote and Numbers, certainly not on this mac.

She never uses this iMac though. Is there a way for those updates not to appear in my App Store Updates screen?

And what would I do if I wanted to get those apps? How would I get them under my username rather than hers?

thanks for help!

Feb 10, 2017 9:30 PM in response to gail from maine

Thanks Gail. I'm afraid I wasn't clear, sorry about that. I don't have either of the two apps Keynote or Numbers, on this iMac. But somehow they are showing up in the Update screen in the App Store. When I click on that, it shows my wife's username and asks for her password. Seems odd?

Ahhh, I've got a large storage drive on which I keep some older stuff, and there are very old versions of both those programs on it. I think I've seen this before, where the app store mistakes those for apps that are currently installed properly on the mac. In this instance it could make sense that the App Store update shows her username, as they are located in a folder of her old stuff, and perhaps they are registered to her.

I guess I would need to find a way for the App Store to not recognize anything not on the internal drive?

Wrong apple ID comes up in App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.