Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is Website Data and what will happen if I delete it?

I have very little storage on my iPod Touch and I want to free up some space. I saw that one way to do this is if you go onto Settings->General-> Storage&Icloud Usage-> Manage Storage-> Safari-> Website Data and then there is an option to delete website data. I'd like to do that to free up storage, but I'm wondering, exactly what is website data and what happens when you delete it?

Posted on Feb 11, 2017 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2017 10:38 AM

Website Data are files, images, cookies, etc... that your iPhone will download when you visit a website in order to be able to show you the website in the browser.

Deleting it normally will do nothing, though for sites where you log in, your logged in status may be deleted, and would have to re-log in the next time you visit it.

The next time you visit the website all this data will be downloaded again since its required to display the website. So deleting it is not very helpful. It also should not be a major user of storage space in any case.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2017 10:38 AM in response to TheFourteenthPhoenix

Website Data are files, images, cookies, etc... that your iPhone will download when you visit a website in order to be able to show you the website in the browser.

Deleting it normally will do nothing, though for sites where you log in, your logged in status may be deleted, and would have to re-log in the next time you visit it.

The next time you visit the website all this data will be downloaded again since its required to display the website. So deleting it is not very helpful. It also should not be a major user of storage space in any case.

Feb 11, 2017 10:24 AM in response to TheFourteenthPhoenix

"Website Data" contains things like cookies - things that you may use regularly and make your computing easier. This info includes sites you've visited.

If you want more room on your device, read this article:

https://www.accessc.com/articles/clear-history-cookies-cache-iphone-ipad-ipod-to uch.html

Performing a soft reset on your iPod cleans up some of this information.

Learn how to reset your iPod - Apple Support

What is Website Data and what will happen if I delete it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.