Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung TV suddenly won't recognize Apple TV connected through HDMI. Used to work fine, but now for that input it gives me the option of Samsung Screen Mirroring. Cables,WiFi, etc. all are good.

I have a 4th gen Apple TV connected via HDMI input 3 of smart Samsung TV (about 5 years old). Everything worked fine; I could play a movie on the laptop and watch it on TV using Airplay and home WiFi set-up. Suddenly, input 3 of the Samsung shows "Samsung Mirroring" and the Apple TV HDMI is still connected there. (Yes, checked all cables, they're all good.) Bottom line, I can no longer see movies (nor anything else) from the Apple TV on the Samsung. Everything else on Samsung works. Any suggestions?

MacBook Air OS 10.12.3

Posted on Feb 11, 2017 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2017 9:54 AM

Having the same issue on a Samsung un40j5200af. The Samsung is not reading the Apple TV all the time. Switching th HDMI port yields same result. Every other HDMI device works on the TV (PS 3, 4,etc..)

unplugging the Apple TV from power then back on, the TV will recognize it, but this is not a permanent fix It eventually reverts to no signal.

detecting Anynet device also does not work, it reads that it is an Apple TV, but fails.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2017 9:54 AM in response to FatherofYoda

Having the same issue on a Samsung un40j5200af. The Samsung is not reading the Apple TV all the time. Switching th HDMI port yields same result. Every other HDMI device works on the TV (PS 3, 4,etc..)

unplugging the Apple TV from power then back on, the TV will recognize it, but this is not a permanent fix It eventually reverts to no signal.

detecting Anynet device also does not work, it reads that it is an Apple TV, but fails.

Sep 28, 2017 10:48 AM in response to tmm1974

Hi. I'm not sure what you're doing but I've noticed the following. If I switch my older Samsung TV to a different HDMI input, then back to Apple TV 4 (still on, not sleeping), Apple TV does not send a picture until I click the Home button (TV icon) on the remote. I assume this is because it won't send any signal when the HDCP connection is broken. So, try clicking the Apple TV Home button if it's not sending a signal.

Samsung TV suddenly won't recognize Apple TV connected through HDMI. Used to work fine, but now for that input it gives me the option of Samsung Screen Mirroring. Cables,WiFi, etc. all are good.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.