Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add insert key on a mac Keyboard

Hey Everyone,

I sometimes work from home using my mac to log into my windows work computer. I use Microsoft Remote Desktop to log in and use Citrix. It is a program that requires me to use the insert key all the time. Is there any way I get to get that work on my mac? Do I need to remap a key? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

iMac, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 11, 2017 5:54 PM

8 replies

Feb 21, 2017 7:27 AM in response to wolves0208

OK, I found a 'Karabiner' solution that worked for Me via Microsoft Remote Desktop

<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id715768417?mt=12>

to a Windows PC (I think it is running Windows 7, as that is what work has given me; I do not spend much time using the Windows system, rather I'm always working with Unix & Linux systems)

Karabiner

<https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/>

User uploaded file

While the entry says F12(Eject) to Forward Delete/Insert, I found that on my keyboard it was the dedicated "Eject" key that was turned into the Delete/Insert key. My keyboard has a separate F12 and a separate Eject key, so it was the fn+Eject key that functioned as an Insert key. Depending on which keyboard you have, it may be F12 or it may be Eject. Or it may be the power button (some keyboards allow the power button to act as the eject key). If you have one of the Late 2016 Macbook Pro w/Touch Bar models, I have no idea what key you would use, as that Mac does not have F-keys, nor eject. Maybe the finger print key, as it can also be the power key, but I'm not at all sure, and I am not willing to do the research. 🙂

No matter what, I think it is possible to use Karabiner, you just may have to get creative, and maybe do Google searches and experimentation.

Feb 17, 2017 5:35 AM in response to wolves0208

I could experiment myself.

I have limited Windows experience, but I do have Microsoft Remote Desktop and access to some Windows systems at work (not via Citrix, just directly to the Windows systems). I mostly have to use Windows to take some mandatory training courses that are written only for Windows, otherwise I spend most of my time working with Linux/Unix systems at work.

But if you can explain how I would use the "Insert" key, and how it should behave when I use it (I really am that Windows ignorant 🙂), on some commonly available Windows app (Notepad, Firefox, Thunderbird, Internet Explorer, etc....), I could experiment a little and see if I can come up with something, or some Karabiner setting that works.

It is even possible, I'll succeed where you fail, and that might indicate a difference because of Critix (anything different in the setup is a possible cause of interference, so it can also be a useful diagnostic).

I can't promise anything, but I'm sure I can spend a little time this weekend (after vacuuming the house 🙂 ).

How to add insert key on a mac Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.