Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Insanely slow typing in iTunes search box

When I type something in the search box of iTunes it takes an absolute age to letter by letter appear in the search.

Posted on Feb 12, 2017 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2017 7:46 AM

iTunes has two search modes. Click the magnifying glass in the search box and make sure Search Entire Library is not ticked for best performance.

Otherwise for general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2017 7:46 AM in response to jlbyrne

iTunes has two search modes. Click the magnifying glass in the search box and make sure Search Entire Library is not ticked for best performance.

Otherwise for general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Feb 13, 2017 3:34 PM in response to thomasfromconsett

Hi Thomas,

I understand that when trying to search in iTunes, it happens very slowly. I'm happy to provide some troubleshooting to help with this issue.

First, make sure that your computer and iTunes are up to date:

Update Windows 10
Get the latest version of iTunes - Apple Support

If you continue to have issues after doing this, then turn off syncing of playback information and podcast subscriptions by going to Edit > Preferences > Store.

After you disabled these options, restart your computer before enabling them again and testing.

iTunes for Windows: iTunes Store preferences

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Jul 31, 2017 7:58 PM in response to turingtest2

TT2 to the rescue again! Thanks so much, you've helped me with one of the most annoying problems I had with iTunes lately. Quick question: what's the difference between the two modes, with "Search entire library" checked and unchecked? I'm under the impression that both still search your entire library, but clearly I must be mistaken because this makes no sense. Where is "Search entire library" actually searching?

Aug 1, 2017 3:18 AM in response to Paulingreece

Search entire library returns content from the whole library, across all media types, in a graphic overlay which can then be used to add items to Up Next or a playlist. The other mode filters down the current view or playlist to show matching items. Search entire library seems to be the slower of the two modes, and isn't what I normally want when I'm managing my library.

tt2

Nov 9, 2017 10:13 AM in response to Jonathanpxxxx

Are you on the current build (12.7.1) now? If not I'd start with a full tear down and then install that version. Otherwise it may be just one more aspect of the never ending puzzle that is iTunes.

Is there any real need to switch the filter from All to Artist? Most of the time you're likely to end up with the same results.

FWIW I've just tried it here and I cannot tell the difference, although oddly I noticed that the status bar can take up to 15 seconds to refresh the count even though the results are already on screen. 😮😕

tt2

Nov 9, 2017 10:31 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes I am on 12.7.1.14.

Come to think of it, I didn't remove iTunes completely as I wasn't sure it would add the whole iTunes library back in correctly. I spent a lot of time getting artwork, inserting missing information about songs etc. Will that info be preserved if I uninstalled iTunes completely?

I switched it to "all" on the search bar. However on the side bar on the left there is a choice of library; recently added, artist, album, song etc So I have to choose something and there is no "all" option. I hope that is clear. My workaround for now is not to select "artist" on the sidebar. Its strange though.

Insanely slow typing in iTunes search box

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.