Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

-1005F error when in recovery mode

In the process of cleaning the mac to use it as a new device it got stuck at downloading the latest OS (after successfully erasing the disk in utilities). Internet posts indicated that sometimes the time gets erased too and needs to be set via terminal again. However i never came to that as it would start showing an allert sign with "apple.com/support" and underneath -1005F. Also in between at one restart it showed the folder logo with a question mark in it instead of the apple logo. When command+R ing it went i to internet recovery mode and let me choose a wifi. However when chooing a wifi it just stays like that, the globe logo is spinning but nothing else is happening. Also occasionally the wifi bars drop to zero even though on my phone and other laptop right next to it its full bars.

What do i do?

Its a brand new macbook pro (the touchbar one) and after the mail app wouldnt work after putting on the backup from the old macbook we decided to clean it again and set up as new machine and migrate documents and stuff by hand. Oh look, neverending story, back to the top~

Posted on Feb 12, 2017 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2017 11:17 AM

Error -1005F means that the internet connection you are using for Internet Recovery is not suitable. Are you able to try another WiFi acces point? It also seems that only WPA or WPA2 configuration are accepted. If you have an USB‑C to Gigabit Ethernet adapter, connect it directly to the network.

Another option, use your old MacBook to create a bootable installer: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2017 11:17 AM in response to SanjaMusic

Error -1005F means that the internet connection you are using for Internet Recovery is not suitable. Are you able to try another WiFi acces point? It also seems that only WPA or WPA2 configuration are accepted. If you have an USB‑C to Gigabit Ethernet adapter, connect it directly to the network.

Another option, use your old MacBook to create a bootable installer: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Feb 12, 2017 11:23 AM in response to cavemees

Thank you a lot for the quick question!

I have logged into out wifi router website to check what protection we have and its set to wpa/wpa2. So i disabled the password protection to try with an unlocked WIFI but sadly it also stays in the "globe logo spinning, wifi chosen but nothing else happens" mode.

Even if i choose another wifi (we have 3 for the house) which is still on wpa protection it'll ask me for the password, i type it in and press enter and it goes back to the previously described state.

Oddly enough it doesnt jump to -1005F error now, or maybe it will in a few minutes.

But i had 1005F and 2002F errors coming up while trying the recover via wifi.

Luckily we have enough other macs to try the bootable installer but im always a bit nervous when i need to use terminal and dont want to mess up my other device.

However it seems like the only option.

I'll also post a separate question regarding migration assistant as this was the original problem that led us to clean a brand new mac - the mail app wouldnt work on the new mac after migrating from the backup disk. But thats a separate thing.

Oh ok, by now -2002F showed up.

Feb 13, 2017 9:39 AM in response to SanjaMusic

Well at least you have a working system. I have no explanation at the moment for what went different this time...

Just a tip before you start with your email migration, create a Time Machine backup first. If unfortunately something goes wrong again, you can boot from that Time Machine backup disk en restore your 'base' installation from it.

Feb 13, 2017 6:31 AM in response to SanjaMusic

Open Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

Select your USB stick, what does it say on Partition Map? If it says 'Master Boot Record'

then we need to fix that, Mac's can only boot from a 'GUID Partition Map' formatted (USB) disk.

If the Partition Map on the USB stick is Master Boot Record, in Disk Utility click 'Erase' and type a name, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and select GUID Partition Map.

After that, start over with the createinstallmedia command on the new formatted USB stick. Now you should be able to boot from this USB stick.

User uploaded file

Feb 12, 2017 11:52 AM in response to SanjaMusic

I think creating the install media is the 'fastest' option and it wouldn't be that hard.

Lets assume that the name of your USB stick is: Sanja

Then in your case, you'll need the following command, you can copy/paste it in Terminal:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Sanja --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

Feb 13, 2017 4:47 AM in response to cavemees

Hi!

Thank you for the message!

I followed the instructions - downloaded sierra installer (which took a few hours (5GB)) and then copied and above indicated. Everything went fine, it was "Done." However now that i plugged it into the patient and held option key as indicated on the apple support site and then chose the disk it came up with the "Prohibitory symbol" .. guess the whole thing is really cursed ... any idea why it might have done so or what the solution could be?

Feb 13, 2017 9:01 AM in response to cavemees

UPDATE:

Before trying any new method i thought to give it a shot and download it onto the usb key once more and try. So i did exactly the same thing than before (everything exactly the same).

Did the option hold, choose disk (and i thought got nothing to loose lets choose also the wifi network and type in the password again). Then left it to load up the apple logo like before and when returning expecting the prohibition symbol there was the welcome screen for sierra!

It bugs be that i dont know why it worked this time and not the time before cause it was exactly the same procedure and apple support doesnt say anything about setting up the wifi too cause the point is that it couldnt do it via wifi in the first place.

-1005F error when in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.