Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6S Plus camera is shaking

Hey. Recently my camera on my 6S plus started shaking. It almost looks like it has 2 lenses side-by-side and it can't decide which lens it wants to use. It bounces back and forth between 2 angles.

I've tried resetting and closing the camera app and closing everything. I feel like it's a hardware issue though because if I point my camera downwards it sometimes stops. If I point it straight ahead it does the shaking every time.

Posted on Feb 12, 2017 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2017 11:09 PM

Just saw the reply. Thanks for the response. I know how to use the camera. I've had an iPhone since the iPhone 4. The camera makes a clicking sound and the picture stutters back and forth between what looks like 2 pictures.

If I tap the phone against something at the right angle I can sometimes get it to stop stuttering for a few seconds.

It's almost like there's 2 lenses side-by-side and the camera has double-vision. It only happens in photo, square, and video mode. Does not happen in time-lapse, slow-mo, or panoramic modes.

I attached a photo as an example. Only my rear camera is affected.

After some time researching this problem, I found that it was a known hardware defect for the 6+ and Apple would fix it for free. Since I have a 6S+, it seems my phone isn't covered.

Is my only option to pay $300+ for Apple to repair something they know is defective on the previous model?User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2017 11:09 PM in response to sterling r

Just saw the reply. Thanks for the response. I know how to use the camera. I've had an iPhone since the iPhone 4. The camera makes a clicking sound and the picture stutters back and forth between what looks like 2 pictures.

If I tap the phone against something at the right angle I can sometimes get it to stop stuttering for a few seconds.

It's almost like there's 2 lenses side-by-side and the camera has double-vision. It only happens in photo, square, and video mode. Does not happen in time-lapse, slow-mo, or panoramic modes.

I attached a photo as an example. Only my rear camera is affected.

After some time researching this problem, I found that it was a known hardware defect for the 6+ and Apple would fix it for free. Since I have a 6S+, it seems my phone isn't covered.

Is my only option to pay $300+ for Apple to repair something they know is defective on the previous model?User uploaded file

Jun 9, 2017 11:21 PM in response to sterling r

Is it possible to simply disable the image stabilization? It seems like there should be a setting to do that but I can't find it.

Since that's known to be the problem and Apple won't replace it for my model, I'm sure the engineers at least added that simple setting to the software. It would be nice to be able to take photos that look as good as my old flip phone's did 10 years ago, at least until I decide whether I'm going to stick with Apple for my next phone or not.

User uploaded file

This is how every photo looks.

Feb 13, 2017 11:38 AM in response to adamfrommobile

Hi Adam,

I see that the camera on your iPhone seems to be shaking. With such a good camera on the iPhone I know it's important to be able to take beautiful photos, so I'm happy to help.

Check out the troubleshooting for camera issues here:

Get help with the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you still can't take a photo, your photos don't look right, or you need help with something else, contact Apple Support .

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Apr 20, 2017 9:38 AM in response to sterling r

Sterling, I agree with the OP. I now have a similar problem with the camera on my iPhone 6s Plus. I've been taking iPhone pictures on my iPhones for half a decade. This is the first time I've had an issue with the camera. I have reset the phone, wiped the phone, and now I'm being told that the next step is a $59 repair. It is suspicious to me that there is a known issue with the 6 Plus that Apple has acknowledged and that issue is remarkably similar to our issue with the 6s Plus. Yet we are not being offered the same level of customer service that 6 Plus owners have received.

May 9, 2017 12:18 AM in response to adamfrommobile

Bryce if you didn't get the camera fixed yet I might have a solution. Mine was just doing the same thing. Yesterday I was taking pictures fine but today it was like taking ones through a double screen. I solved it by taking my phone out of the case, gripping the bottom half of my phone, and pounding it on my palm. Not gently but not super hard. Somehow it fixed my issue. I know sounds crazy but try it lol. Sometimes smacking a device to readjust the stuff inside really works.

May 9, 2017 12:17 AM in response to MPGornall

I haven't gotten it fixed and most likely won't be. The fact that it's the exact same issue as the previous generation(minus the excellent customer service that the previous generation received)

leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. I'll just leave it at that.

I did the hitting thing when it first started happening. Had to repeat it every day or so. It worked for me for a while but my camera shaking has progressed to the point that the rear camera is basically unuseable.

All of my pictures have to be taken with the front camera now which isn't great quality but at least you can see the picture.

Oct 11, 2017 6:38 PM in response to adamfrommobile

I spend most of the day talking to Apple about this issue. They ran me through the normal...have to restarted the phone, is it up to date, have you restored it, did you restore it to a new phone, yady yady and were now as the $300 plus replacement as to which I replied no. Apple should offer the same thing as the 6 plus issue about the camera. It’s known and we should have to buy a replacement phone!!!

iPhone 6S Plus camera is shaking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.