Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image capture core error -9912, what is the fix for this?

Importing images from iPhone 6S into Photo app on the iMac OS Sierra v10.12.2 Processor 4GHZ Inter core i7 Photos v2.0

340 unreadable files. Get the following error: File name (null)(IMG_6311.JPG) Reason: The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.ImageCaptureCore error -9912).

We had this error when we were on OS Yosemite, I have seem numerous entries for this error on apple community forum and various other forums.

Wondering if anyone has determined the fix (not just a work around for why this error is happening).

iPhone 6s, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), Photos v2.0

Posted on Feb 12, 2017 10:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2017 6:45 AM

As far as I can tell from previous posts, the reason was frequently a bad connection between the iPhone and the Mac, a bad cable, or the iPhone had been plugged into a USB Hub, and not directly into a USB port.

10 replies

Feb 13, 2017 2:30 PM in response to piggottjr

Hello piggottjr,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to import a picture and you're getting an Error -9912 on your Mac. If you haven't already, use safe mode to start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks, delete system cache files, verifies your startup disk, and attempts to repair directory issues if needed. Log into your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
Limited graphics performance in OS X recovery or safe mode

You can figure out if unexpected behavior is related to a user file or setting by trying to reproduce the issue from another user account. This process includes creating a new user account, logging in to it, and testing for the issue.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Cheers!

Jun 4, 2017 5:43 PM in response to piggottjr

I am on an iPhone 7 with iOS 10.3.x

When opening photos on my MacBook (sierra) the .mov files all come up with a filename: (null)(img_####.mov) and reason: The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.ImageCaptureCore error -9912)

We get this error on every Mac/Macbook we have tried.

Anyone know of a fix?

Oct 3, 2017 2:36 AM in response to rsocolof

Cable made a big difference for me, thanks!

This one failed: Amazon.com: Xcords iPhone Cable 4Pack 3FT Nylon Braided 8Pin Lightning to USB Charger with Aluminum Connector, Compatibl…

This one passed: Amazon.com: iPhone Charger Cable, Quntis 2Pack 10ft Extra Long Lightning Cable Cord Certified to USB Charging Charger Wi…

(but thatsecond amazon listing appears to be a different product than what I have in hand, it is white plastic wrapped, not grey fabric wrapped)

Image capture core error -9912, what is the fix for this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.