Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I add ApplePay to my child's iPhone?

How do I add a debit card to my 12 year old's iPhone SE? When I try I get a message that the child's iCloud account will not allow it.

Posted on Feb 13, 2017 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2017 8:52 AM

I had the same question, but it looks like Apple simply don't allow it. I don't understand why - as long as the app asks parents to approve the addition of a card to an account, it should allow the child to add a DEBIT card. My son is 11 and has just opened a Nationwide current account, so in effect all offering Apple Pay does is give him a way of accessing his own money. It would actually make more sense to let him do this - while he's accessing his own funds, he's not using mine! Equally, he's getting used to managing his own money in the process.

Surely this is something Apple need to consider going forward?

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2017 8:52 AM in response to Davidbh

I had the same question, but it looks like Apple simply don't allow it. I don't understand why - as long as the app asks parents to approve the addition of a card to an account, it should allow the child to add a DEBIT card. My son is 11 and has just opened a Nationwide current account, so in effect all offering Apple Pay does is give him a way of accessing his own money. It would actually make more sense to let him do this - while he's accessing his own funds, he's not using mine! Equally, he's getting used to managing his own money in the process.

Surely this is something Apple need to consider going forward?

Mar 9, 2017 9:47 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

thank you. It would be great if Apple added this capability to Family Share - so I can either approve or bypass need for approval and child can utilize Apple Pay at any merchant that accepts it rather than just the app store, itunes etc. I believe there are companies trying to address this market in a way that Apple Pay is already geared up to (approving purchases). Greenlight is an example of such a company.

I guess - in an emergency - I could temporarily add my card to their Apple Pay ... I just would have no approval ability. Correct?

Mar 9, 2017 9:16 PM in response to Forcefour

Not all debit cards can be added to Apple Pay. First check to see if that bank is part of the ones that participate in Apple Pay, Apple Pay participating banks in Canada and the United States - Apple Support and if they are, you may need to check with them to see if their card works with Apple Pay. They also may have special instructions for adding their card to the Apple Wallet.

Mar 10, 2017 7:05 AM in response to Forcefour

No. My experience (the bases of my question for clarification/help) is that NO cards (credit or debit) can be added to any Apple device assigned/registered to Apple accounts of children under 13. Over 13 yes. I was able add a debit card to my 15 year old's iPhone, but not my 12.5 year old's iPhone and both are in my family plan and I approve and pay for all purchases (apps, movies, music etc). Also both children have their own Apple accounts for their devices.

Mar 12, 2017 2:46 PM in response to Forcefour

In Family Sharing, only the Family Organizer has the authority and responsibility to pay. The credit card on the Organizer account is the one used for any purchases made by family members, even if the family members have a credit card on their account. I'm just not sure that family members that are considered children have the ability to have a credit card on their devices. That is probably a question better asked of Apple. Use the Contact Support link at the top of the page.

Dec 27, 2017 9:28 AM in response to tcdesignguy

tcdesignguy wrote:

Hopefully you guys add the ability to add a Apple Pay cash to child accounts below 13. Would Ed great to start teaching management of money early where they don’t have to carry cash. Too easy to lose and the family organizer can load more money as needed.

None of us guys here have any more influence over what Apple does or doesn't do than you. Use the feedback link provided above to let Apple know what you'd like to see.

how do I add ApplePay to my child's iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.