Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does emergency bypass override silent mode?

I believe that when emergency bypass was first rolled out, it would only override Do Not Disturb mode. Now it seems that it overrides silent mode too. So if I have my phone on vibrate and my wife calls, my phone will RING not just vibrate. This is a change in behavior that makes emergency bypass useless for me. Is this expected behavior?

iPhone 7, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 13, 2017 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2017 8:38 AM

As far as I know, this is the way it's worked since it was introduced... It's there so that you can receive calls and messages from specific contact(s) regardless of the state of DND and the mute switch. Came in handy when my wife was hospitalized recently.

If you just want your phone to vibrate, then just flip the mute switch instead of setting up an emergency bypass.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2017 8:38 AM in response to jasundermeyer

As far as I know, this is the way it's worked since it was introduced... It's there so that you can receive calls and messages from specific contact(s) regardless of the state of DND and the mute switch. Came in handy when my wife was hospitalized recently.

If you just want your phone to vibrate, then just flip the mute switch instead of setting up an emergency bypass.

Feb 20, 2017 1:38 AM in response to KiltedTim

I can't remember whether it has always worked this way (overiding both DND and silent mode), but it isn't what is implied in the description under the Emergency Bypass switch. The description only mentions DND and not allowing sounds when in silent mode. The reason this matters came up while in a movie theatre the other night:

• DND schedule is set to automatically silence all alerts during the night (and automatically shuts off in the morning). This prevents my myriad of news, misc etc. alerts from sounding or vibrating all night.

• I have a number of clients that I want to still ring through and iMessages come through for even in the middle of the night.

• I was in the movie theatre, so before the movie began I was sure to flip the silent mode switch to "silent" and my Apple Watch mode to "silent" as well.

• During the movie, I got an iMessage from someone that I've set Emergency Bypass on for. My Apple Watch "dinged"! Thankfully my phone didn't go off in the movie.

• This means that before the movie begins, I'd have to go through each contact and shut off Emergency Bypass!

• Some may say "shut off your phone during a movie", but a better option would be: Apple Watch silently and discreetly taps my wrist or phone vibrates when an alert (especially a VIP client) messages me.

why does emergency bypass override silent mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.