Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect a USB external hard drive to iPad?

Hi there,

I have a 9.7" iPad Pro, a GoPro, an SD dongle, and a WD passport 500GB external hard drive. I've used the SD dongle with other cards and it works so great that I'm thinking of not bringing my laptop on this trip I'm taking and instead only taking my iPad. So, in theory I would fill up the 64GB SD in the camera, offload it onto my iPad, and after a couple of those the iPad would be filled. If I were to buy Apple's USB-to-lightning dongle, would the iPad recognize the drive and allow me to offload footage onto the drive? I assume I'd have to disable the password protection on the drive using my computer before the iPad would even attempt to do anything with it.

Thanks!

iPad Pro, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 14, 2017 9:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2017 10:26 PM

FWIW, I just recently got the Sandisk connect wireless stick - works like a charm. When connected via USB to my iMac, it acts like a regular external hard drive; once paired with the iPad Pro, you choose the wireless network of the stick and it'll recognize it wirelessly. You will need the connect app in order to access the files and you can move files to and from the iPad using that app.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2017 10:26 PM in response to Mr_Sentry

FWIW, I just recently got the Sandisk connect wireless stick - works like a charm. When connected via USB to my iMac, it acts like a regular external hard drive; once paired with the iPad Pro, you choose the wireless network of the stick and it'll recognize it wirelessly. You will need the connect app in order to access the files and you can move files to and from the iPad using that app.

Feb 14, 2017 9:56 PM in response to Mr_Sentry

You can't use regular computer hard drives with Apple iDevices.

There are a few special storage devices for mobile devices. There are portable, bulit-in WiFi hotspot hard drives for mobile devices made by Western Digital and Seagate.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1330

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1660

http://www.seagate.com/consumer/stream/

There are special mobile lightning connected and built in WiFi Hot spot, USB flash drives made by SanDisk (now owned by Western Digital)

https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/ixpand

https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/connect-wireless-stick

http://www.adamelements.com/iKlips/iklips.html

Good Luck!

Aug 12, 2017 7:57 AM in response to Diana.McCall

How doable would be to use Lightroom on an iPad without a laptop on a trip? I'd want the images to be on an external drive or SSD. Wouldn't wifi be really slow to work on video or raw files?

Is there any sort of portable wifi hub to plug any drive to it and connect it to an iPad?

Also I would want to backup the images on a second drive.

Would an Android tablet allow that as well?

Not sure if an iPad can substitute a Macbook Air for travel

Aug 31, 2017 2:00 PM in response to stefanog

Hi stefanog,

I'm in similar boat as you but not just photos but also big video files and many of them. idevices are a no go since wifi is the only way to connect an external hd. wifi is much too slow for reasonable transfer rates. Yes, you can directly connect most any external HD to an android device but the problem becomes battery life of the android device. You can't charge the android device and connect the external hd/transfer data at the same time. Trust me I've tried many different ways to use my phone or android tablet. The android file utility is great. But best I could do was transfer under 30GB to external HD on one tablet charge. Usually I've got a lot more than this on one sd card. I did this by purchasing a usb/sd card reader and plugging that into android device, then connecting external SSDs to the usb hub. These were with sd cards with ~200MB/s download rate and usb 3.1 external ssd. So, unfortunately, I still need to bring a larger surface pro or laptop with me to clear my sd cards and store media on trips. perhaps there are bigger battery tablet solutions than when i last investigated. Hope this helps.

Sep 3, 2017 6:10 AM in response to Dellul

iPads are not laptop/Macbook replacements, yet.

iPads are still mobile companion devices to more capable computing platforms.

iPads are lesser mobile computing devices running a more simplified mobile OS.

If you own an iPad Pro and it isn't working for your needs or workflow, you can sell it for another mobile devices that may meet your needs.

The alternatives are out there.

Life is too short to be using an electronic gadget that isn't doing what you need it to do.

Good Luck to You!

Nov 24, 2017 3:52 PM in response to MichelPM

I’m sorry but I don’t think Apple should be sticking a PRO label on any device that has been so intentionally crippled for no reason other than Apple wants to maintain a vice-like grip on their myopic universe. If they are going to market this as a laptop replacement, then they need to give us some real world tools to accompany it, and a keyboard and pencil are not the only thing users have been begging for.

Dec 1, 2017 3:55 PM in response to Mr_Sentry

Yes. You will need to buy a Kingston Mobilite G3 device to access almost any external USB hard drive. Set-up is easy. Just download the free Mobilte app to access the hard drive contents with or without the need for internet. Another app to download is FileBrowser. The app allows you to access the drive as a wireless NAS. You also get the ability to drag and drop files to the external drive if you have IOS 11 installed. This IOS 11 feature makes it easier to save pictures, pdf’s, spreadsheets, and other document by just dragging and dropping.

Can I connect a USB external hard drive to iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.