Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why aren't photos on my Mac syncing to my iPhone?

We have an iMac ('11) and two iPhones (6 & 7) all connected to the same iCloud account through Family sharing. The phones have the same settings in Settings > iCloud > Photos yet the iPhone 6 does not receive photos taken by the iPhone 7, or any uploaded to the iMac from other cameras. What am I missing?

Separately, or perhaps related, there are a handful of photos from the iPhone 6 that sync to the iMac every time it is plugged in, even though those photos already exist (now in multiple copies!) on the iMac.

Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 15, 2017 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2017 5:36 AM

You state that all of the devices have the same settings in Settings > iCloud > Photos but you don't say how they are set. In case you aren't aware. iCloud Photo Library automatically syncs all photos between devices where it is turned on if they are using the same Apple ID. More information: iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

If you are using Family Sharing and want to share photos with different Apple ID's, see the "The whole family can contribute to the family photo album" section of Family Sharing - Apple Support

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2017 5:36 AM in response to stobinar

You state that all of the devices have the same settings in Settings > iCloud > Photos but you don't say how they are set. In case you aren't aware. iCloud Photo Library automatically syncs all photos between devices where it is turned on if they are using the same Apple ID. More information: iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

If you are using Family Sharing and want to share photos with different Apple ID's, see the "The whole family can contribute to the family photo album" section of Family Sharing - Apple Support

Feb 17, 2017 5:51 AM in response to stobinar

The support article does explain how Photos for Family Sharing works:

Now collecting and sharing family memories is easier and more fun. When Family Sharing is turned on, a shared album is set up automatically in the Photos app on all family members’ devices. Then everyone can add photos, videos, and comments to the album and be notified when something new is added. You can add or view photos and videos from iPhoto on your Mac, and from Photos on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 7 or later.

User uploaded file

My guess is that the album is showing up under your Shared albums, and you would add photos to it as you would do for any iCloud Sharing album:

iCloud Photo Sharing - Apple Support

Get help using iCloud Photo Sharing and shared albums - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

Feb 17, 2017 4:20 PM in response to stobinar

stobinar wrote:

Ok we're getting close:

OK, so if you turn off iCloud Photo Library, you need to make sure that you have the originals downloaded to the Mac Photos Library. Then, she can sync all photos and albums, or specific albums in the normal manner.

When you say "turn off iCloud Photo Library", you mean on the iMac? (If I turn it of on her iPhone, she won't have the iCloud storage ability, which she'd like to keep.) Once this is done, and she syncs as normal, she will get all the photos in the topmost "Photos" section of Photos on the iMac? OK, so again, you were originally talking about Family Sharing, and now it sounds like you are using iCloud Photo Library. So, there is a big difference between the two. iCloud Photo Library is accessed by a single iCloud ID. It is intended as a sharing service, not an archival one. Any device or computer signed into iCloud Library with the same iCloud account will have all of the photos in that library on their device or computer. If you turn on Optimize Photos, iCloud Photo Library will manage the photos on your device or computer and will only keep as many full resolution photos as you have room for. The remaining photos will be shown as thumbnails, and can be downloaded individually if desired.

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

iCloud Photo Library Help - Apple Support

Family Sharing is a service that allows enrolled family members to share purchases, and also provide the ability for the members to share a Calendar, a Shared Photo Stream, and the ability to track everyone's phone who is enrolled in the Family Sharing plan. Separate Apple/iCloud IDs are used for each individual:

Apple - iCloud - Family Sharing
Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

The Family Sharing album is a single photo stream - iCloud Photo Sharing creates a shared photo stream that can be added to and viewed at any time by anyone in the Family Sharing group.

So where does this appear? Is the shared photo stream invisible, ie. both phones should have the same photos in the Photos area of the Photos app? If this is the case, that's not what we are experiencing. When you set up Family Sharing, an album called Family will show in your Shared option in Photos. Any member of the Family Sharing group can add photos to this album at any time.

If you mean a Photo Stream like the one that is created when you take a photo with your device, there is no way to share that, or to add to that unless the devices are signed into the same iCloud account.

I'm confused as to how this is separate from the other options. Since I take a picture, it is uploaded to the iCloud, which then goes to Photos on the iMac, which would then be synced over wifi to her phone. This is the succession of events that I imagine should be happening... is it possible? The Photo Stream I am referring to here would be the Photo Stream that is set up when you are not using iCloud Photo Library. And you are correct, if you are using separate Apple/iCloud IDs then it is not "shareable".

Cheers,

GB

Feb 17, 2017 5:35 AM in response to FoxFifth

You're right - a more thorough explanation would have revealed that the two phones are logged in to different iCloud accounts. The iMac and iPhone 7 are under my account, the iPhone 6 under my wife's. I had assumed that Family sharing would pass the photos between these accounts, but that does not seem to be the case. The link you supplied for Family Sharing does not give details about how photos are shared - given this scenario (two people wanting to have the same photos in their All Photos area of Photos on their phones), what would you suggest?

Feb 17, 2017 12:36 PM in response to gail from maine

I guess what I'm getting at is this: since we share an iMac, when my wife plugs in her phone to it she gets all photos that I take (the iMac uses my iCloud account). Is there a way for this to happen automatically for her without her also using my iCloud account on her phone? Just setting her phone to sync over wi-fi doesn't seem to do it. iCloud Photos is turned on for her phone, and iCloud Photo Library and My Photo Stream are all turned on in Photos on the iMac.

Feb 17, 2017 12:41 PM in response to stobinar

So, I am now confused by what you are saying. If you are using iCloud Photo Library for your photos, then she would have to be signed into your iCloud account in order for your iCloud Photo Library photos to download to her phone.

If you are not using iCloud Photo Library, then it doesn't matter what account is signed into the Mac, she would have to sync her device to the photos library on the Mac.

If you have Family Sharing, you can create a Shared Photo Album, and share any photos you want with everyone that is in the Family Sharing plan.

These are three entirely different things, and I'm not sure which one, or combination of ones, you actually have and are asking about?

Cheers,

GB

Feb 17, 2017 1:02 PM in response to gail from maine

As I've been working on this I must have changed a setting, and having just plugged her phone into the iMac, she is not receiving photos from the Photo library. This should clarify your first point: yes we are using iCloud Photo Library, and no she is not logged on with my account, thus not getting my photos.

To your second point: If I turn off iCloud Photo Library, will that mean that a wi-fi sync of her phone *would* move photos from the iMac to her phone?

To your third point: I am attempting to not have to manually add photos to a Family Sharing album, but rather simply have a single photo stream with two people adding and viewing.

Thank you for sticking with me here - I've been a long time Apple user and used to do tech support but the iCloud stuff has confused me!

Feb 17, 2017 1:17 PM in response to stobinar

OK, so if you turn off iCloud Photo Library, you need to make sure that you have the originals downloaded to the Mac Photos Library. Then, she can sync all photos and albums, or specific albums in the normal manner. If you wanted specific albums to update via a wifi sync, then you would add photos to those albums and they should sync to the device.

When you say:

stobinar wrote:

To your third point: I am attempting to not have to manually add photos to a Family Sharing album, but rather simply have a single photo stream with two people adding and viewing.

The Family Sharing album is a single photo stream - iCloud Photo Sharing creates a shared photo stream that can be added to and viewed at any time by anyone in the Family Sharing group. iCloud Shared Photos do not take up any of your iCloud storage. If you mean a Photo Stream like the one that is created when you take a photo with your device, there is no way to share that, or to add to that unless the devices are signed into the same iCloud account.

Cheers,

GB

Feb 17, 2017 2:58 PM in response to gail from maine

Ok we're getting close:

OK, so if you turn off iCloud Photo Library, you need to make sure that you have the originals downloaded to the Mac Photos Library. Then, she can sync all photos and albums, or specific albums in the normal manner.

When you say "turn off iCloud Photo Library", you mean on the iMac? (If I turn it of on her iPhone, she won't have the iCloud storage ability, which she'd like to keep.) Once this is done, and she syncs as normal, she will get all the photos in the topmost "Photos" section of Photos on the iMac?

The Family Sharing album is a single photo stream - iCloud Photo Sharing creates a shared photo stream that can be added to and viewed at any time by anyone in the Family Sharing group.

So where does this appear? Is the shared photo stream invisible, ie. both phones should have the same photos in the Photos area of the Photos app? If this is the case, that's not what we are experiencing.

If you mean a Photo Stream like the one that is created when you take a photo with your device, there is no way to share that, or to add to that unless the devices are signed into the same iCloud account.

I'm confused as to how this is separate from the other options. Since I take a picture, it is uploaded to the iCloud, which then goes to Photos on the iMac, which would then be synced over wifi to her phone. This is the succession of events that I imagine should be happening... is it possible?

Feb 17, 2017 5:12 PM in response to gail from maine

Here's what I would like to do:

(1) To have my photos in my iCloud account so that I can Optimize them and access them from my phone and iMac.

(2) To have my wife's photos in her iCloud account so that she can Optimize.

(3) To have my photos automatically download to her phone when she syncs with the iMac.

I see the Family album but it needs manual loading, which is not my goal. I see the Photo Stream, but as you say this if active if we are not using iCloud Photo Library. Can I only achieve (3) if I turn off iCloud Photo Library on the iMac, thus losing ability (1)? Or can I simply turn off the Settings > Photos & Camera > iCloud Photo Library on her phone?

Feb 17, 2017 5:41 PM in response to stobinar

stobinar wrote:

Here's what I would like to do:

(1) To have my photos in my iCloud account so that I can Optimize them and access them from my phone and iMac. - You would need iCloud Photo Library turned on on both the Mac and your iPhone, signed into your iCloud account

(2) To have my wife's photos in her iCloud account so that she can Optimize. - She would need iCloud Photo Library turned on on her phone, and have her iCloud account signed in

(3) To have my photos automatically download to her phone when she syncs with the iMac. - She cannot sync photos via iTunes when iCloud Photo Library is turned on on her device

I see the Family album but it needs manual loading, which is not my goal. This would be the best option for her to "sync" your photos to her device and still have iCloud Photo Library turned on on her device. It isn't any more work than syncing via iTunes, and may be considerably less time consuming since once the initial photos were downloaded, she would only add the new ones on a fairly regular basis. She would go on the Mac, click on the photos she wanted, and then drag them to the Family album in the sidebar in the Photos app on the Mac. They would download via iCloud to her device. It's just syncing via a different route.

Can I only achieve (3) if I turn off iCloud Photo Library on the iMac, thus losing ability (1)? Or can I simply turn off the Settings > Photos & Camera > iCloud Photo Library on her phone? - If she wants to do an actual sync via iTunes, then she would have to have iCloud Photo Library turned off on her iPhone. It can remain turned on on the Mac. If you want all photos downloaded, then she would select All Photos and Albums in the sync options on the Photos tab in iTunes. That would re-sync the entire library each time she syncs. I wouldn't suggest turning on Optimize photos on the Mac, because I am not sure how that would affect sharing those photos via a sync or via Family sharing, since they wouldn't actually be full res photos. But you can turn on Optimize photos on the devices.

Cheers,

GB

Why aren't photos on my Mac syncing to my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.