You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you add a hyperlink to a jpeg?

I would like to email a photograph (jpeg) to friends and clients that allows them to click on the photo to be directed to my website. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to hyperlink a jpeg and if so, how to do it.

Thanks!

Dual G4; Powerbook G4; iMacG4; Intel Imac, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Dual G4, Powerbook G4, iMac G4

Posted on Dec 26, 2006 2:12 PM

27 replies

Dec 26, 2006 7:55 PM in response to Sandie Cohen

Ok, now that I understand what you want. You are trying to create an HTML email so that someone can click on the picture and go to your link.

Sad to say this, but you have two choices:

(1) use another email program that might let you craft such email messages; or

(2) in Mail, under the Mail menu, Preferences, Composing tab, change message format to Rich Text. Then compose your email, insert the JPEG as an inline attachment in the email, where you want it to be. Save the email. Then, with the Draft mailbox selected, select your email. Under the View menu, select "Raw Source". This will show you the HTML code that you are about to edit by hand. Then, using an HTML editor (perhaps the free TextWrangle at www.barebones.com), navigate to this email folder (located as /Users/yourusername/Library/Mail/yourmailaccountname/Drafts.mbox/Messages/xxxxx x.emlx where xxxxxx will be some number assigned by the Mail program). Edit the raw HTML to produce the appearance you want and create a clickable region (HTML tutorial is beyond the scope of this forum). Save the edited email. Go back to Mail, send the message.

Short answer, the commercial email that you receive is using an HTML editing program to create HTML email. That's a bit beyond what Mail or any of the simple email clients can do.

Russ

Xserve G5 2.0 GHz 2 GB RAM Mac OS X (10.4.8) Apple Hardware RAID, ATTO UL4D, Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 1u

Dec 26, 2006 7:36 PM in response to rhwalker

I tried that, but it just adds the url as the link. I'm trying not to add any other verbiage and just want to put the picture in the email. I guess what I am trying to do is have the receiver just click the picture to be directed to my url. It is similar to all those emails you get from companies that enable you to click their logo and go to their site.

Any other suggestions....pleeezzzz!....and thanks!

Dec 26, 2006 8:25 PM in response to rhwalker

Hi Russ, Thanks so much for the blueprint to make this work. I've got to get to sleep but will try this early tomorrowand post another reply (with hopefully a 'solved'!). If you could....please check this link tomorrow for an update and just in case I need some further assistance. Know that I really appreciate your help.

Happy Holidays,
Sandie

Dec 27, 2006 11:32 AM in response to Sandie Cohen

Hi Russ,

Yikes, I thought this might have been simpler and more intuitive!!!!
I got all the way to navigating to the email folder....found that...but am not savvy enough to edit the raw HTML to produce the appearance and create a clickable region. I know this is not what this forum is all about...but it you could possibly help from this point, I would be eternally grateful.

Much appreciated, Sandie

Dec 27, 2006 11:48 AM in response to Sandie Cohen

I would like to email a photograph (jpeg) to friends and clients that allows them to click on the photo to be directed to my website. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to hyperlink a jpeg and if so, how to do it.

jpeg encodes images in a series of bytes, so as you now probably realize you can't put a link directly into this format. You can though insert links, sounds, movies into pdf, if you are willing to convert format. To do so you may well need to use Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Dec 27, 2006 3:54 PM in response to Sandie Cohen

Might you be able to give me a quick 'how to'???

Well, it isn't hard (and this info is in acrobat help too). You open pdf on the page where you wish to link from, go to tools advance editing then link tool, create link dialogue opens, select the open webpage option and enter url, click ok and there it is, so save pdf. Checking, its an option on acrobat standard too.

Dec 27, 2006 5:57 PM in response to Sandie Cohen

Ewen, that's not what she wants. See the discussion above where I offered her a simple link in the email.

Sandie,
I really hadn't expected you to persist in this, but I admire that you really seem to want to do it. What you really want are what are called "Client Side image maps", and you will just edit a few lines of HTML into the HTML email (see above).

Here's a tutorial on how to craft the few lines of HTML that you need, so that clicking on the JPEG (not clicking on a link in a PDF document) will go to your web site:
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/image_maps/article.php/3479741

Hope this helps,

Russ

Xserve G5 2.0 GHz 2 GB RAM Mac OS X (10.4.8) Apple Hardware RAID, ATTO UL4D, Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 1u

Dec 27, 2006 6:31 PM in response to rhwalker

Ewen, that's not what she wants. See the discussion above where I offered her a simple link in the email.

I am simply answering the original question (and not replying to your answer at all, simply offering an alternative), and she asked follow up questions.

If you attach a jpeg to an email you cannot modify and open the actual jpeg file itself and click on the actual image to a weblink easily or at all (a limitation of jpeg format). By simply converting to PDF you can put weblinks into the attachment, and very simply using adobe acrobat, I put links on pdfs to websites routinely myself professionally. If you do this in PDF you have a solution that is very cross-platform compatible and not at all dependent on html code or mail.

Dec 27, 2006 6:40 PM in response to Ewen

That's not what she asked for. She wants the recipient to be able to click on an image in an email (that requires HTML), not in an attachment, anywhere on the image:

I would like to email a photograph (jpeg) to friends and
clients that allows them to click on the photo to be
directed to my website.

I'm trying not to add any other verbiage and just want to
put the picture in the email. I guess what I am trying to
do is have the receiver just click the picture to
be directed to my url. It is similar to all those emails
you get from companies that enable you to click their logo and go to their site.

That requires client side image maps in HTML email. Not easy, but it can be done.

Russ

Dec 27, 2006 6:51 PM in response to rhwalker

I would like to email a photograph (jpeg) to friends and clients that allows them to click on the photo to be directed to my website.

If the image is converted to pdf and a weblink placed onto the image using acrobat then the goal is very simply acomplished.

That requires client side image maps in HTML email. Not easy, but it can be done.

I don't think she wants a complicated solution, and that's one of the huge advantages of pdf.

Dec 27, 2006 8:31 PM in response to Ewen

Russ and Ewen,

I certainly did not have any intention for this back and forth between the two of you! I do appreciate BOTH of your attempts at solving my question, but....

1. I tried the Acrobat solution, Ewen, and unless I'm totally doing this incorrectly, when you click the pdf attachment, it opens the jpeg in Acrobat and THEN it will link to my site if you click the picture. Honestly, though it is indeed neat to see this work, I think it is too confusing and circuitious. Too, one has to assume that the recipient of the email A) has Acrobat and B) intuitively knows to click the jpeg. 😟
2. Russ, I went to your link and though I understand some of what it says, I think it is just 'over my head'. Too, the link for the Mac map doesn't connect. I do think that you truly understand what I want to do and have given me the tools. Unfortunately...though I will spend some more time and try to comprehend all this HTML (foreign) stuff, I don't think I've enough basic knowledge to make this work 😟

Anyway, I will check back into this posting again to see if you've any further thoughts or ideas. If not, just know that I do appreciate your responses and assistance.

Happy New Year,
Sandie

Dec 27, 2006 8:47 PM in response to Sandie Cohen

Sorry about the bad link for the client-side image map editor.

Here's a couple of shareware client-side image map editors that I located on Version Tracker moments ago:

YokMap 1.0.1 (last updated August 2004):
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24199

MapSpinner (last updated November 2006):
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23911

See if that helps. I didn't want to give you a cookbook approch; I wanted you to have the excitement of learning something.

Russ

How do you add a hyperlink to a jpeg?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.