Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch face detached from case

What can be done to reattach the watch face glass? Can the genius do it? Is it a recall defect? I wasn't doing anything to it and I'm not rough at all. It just decided to detach tonight.

Watch Standard 42mm

Posted on Feb 18, 2017 11:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2017 1:43 AM

Hi

There is no recall for screen detachments on Apple watch.

Contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider to arrange for your Apple Watch to be inspected and to establish your available service options, timescales and any cost (whether under warranty or via chargeable repair service):

https://support.apple.com/watch/repair/service

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2017 1:43 AM in response to Black Belt

Hi

There is no recall for screen detachments on Apple watch.

Contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider to arrange for your Apple Watch to be inspected and to establish your available service options, timescales and any cost (whether under warranty or via chargeable repair service):

https://support.apple.com/watch/repair/service

Sep 25, 2017 5:20 AM in response to exmurr

Same think happened to me too - 18 month old 42mm Milanese loop.

I have hardly worn the watch but yesterday when I was driving I felt something catching on my sleeve and looked down to see the watch screen hanging on by its ribbon cable.

Incidentally the watch became very hot on my wrist at the same time so I took it off and laid it on the floor of the car.

I am reading of swollen batteries causing the screen to pop off and coincidentally perhaps I upgraded to OS4 a couple of days ago which seems to stressing the battery according to some posts.

Sadly it is out of warranty but I genuinely consider this is a manufacturing fault and I fully expected my Apple watch to last considerably longer.

Nov 10, 2017 2:25 PM in response to Black Belt

Just had the same experience. Lifted my sleeve to see time and noticed face move to one side. Thought my eyes were playing tricks, but looked again and confirmed the face was detached. Thought it might pop on, but no seems to have been glued. Watch has never been dropped, abused and has no scratches. Don’t even wear it daily when I work from home. It is most definitely a defect. Called Apple and spoke to someone who identified herself as a senior advisor and she said it would cost me $199 to repair which I will NOT pay. My wife & I have had 6 IPhones with positive experience, but very disappointed in the inferior quality of the watch and Apples refusal to make it right. Steve Jobs is missed! May need to consider samsung in the future.

Nov 11, 2017 2:43 AM in response to Dex56

Definitely a problem with the battery. Went to my local Apple store and the rep tried to discourage me from getting it repaired (seriously, what is going on?). Said his "sister" had a problem with her watch and when the service department decided that it was not a watch defect, they automatically charged her $199 to repair. Basically advised me not to bother. I was about to leave when the actually genius bar tech came over. He gave the watch face a lift and showed me the swollen battery. Said that the service department will sometimes disqualify free repairs because of dings on the watch body, but felt it was worth a try since it was very obviously the battery. He also said that they cannot charge you for a repair without your consent. Well, regardless, they sent me back a brand new gen 1 watch. So great. I would definitely give it a try. Some weird stuff going on at the apple stores. Starting to feel a lot more like Best Buy these days. I went to upgrade my iPhone 6 to a 7. Rep spent ten minutes trying to convince me that unless I was going to buy an "unlocked phone" I was better off going back to AT&T to get my upgrade. Told me that Apple was not in the business of "financing" phones blah, blah, blah. I left. Exhausting conversation. Went home did it all on line and returned two days later to pick up my phone. Took less time then that conversation. But, back in the day (a year or two ago?), they would set it up for you. I was basically handed the phone and told I could set it up myself. It was said nicely but the implication was clear that the store would not being much more than putting it in a shopping bag for me. It used to be a somewhat pleasurable experience going to the Apple store. Wha's going on Apple?

Nov 22, 2017 6:24 AM in response to Latlum

After no help from Apple support, I went to the Apple Store and waited over an hour to see someone. When they called my name, I showed it to him and told him I had researched & discovered this was a common problem due to swollen batteries. He looked at and said “yes definitely a swollen battery” and said they would send me a replacement at no charge (even though it was way past warranty.) Three days later, I received a new wstch. Don’t waste time on phone with Apple support. You made right choice going to the store.

Apple watch face detached from case

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.