Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reduce Time Capsule buffer bloat (QoS)?

We use a time capsule as our home router and backup system. The Time Capsule connects directly to a DSL modem in bridge mode. I believe our TC is a 4th generation unit, but am not absolutely sure. We connect to it with a variety of computers including an iMac running OSX 10.12.3.

Recently I ran a speed test and noticed significant buffer bloat, peaking at over 600ms on download, and over 4000ms on upload. (DSL reports give our Buffer Bloat performance a red "F.")

This leaves me wondering:

• Is there anything I can do with my current Time Capsule or network configuration to reduce Buffer Bloat?
  • Would a newer Time Capsule perform any better?
  • Are QoS (Quality of Service) settings available on this or newer Time Capsules?
  • Is this just a flaw/limitation in the Time Capsule design?

Any related information will be very much appreciated.

null-OTHER, Time Capsule

Posted on Feb 20, 2017 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2017 5:25 PM

• Is there anything I can do with my current Time Capsule or network configuration to reduce Buffer Bloat?
  • Are QoS (Quality of Service) settings available on this or newer Time Capsules?

NO x 4

Apple do not believe in complexity.. therefore all but the most basic absolutely necessary options are provided (and not even many of those).

Good QoS.. is not really available on low end routers. It requires decently powerful processors and pretty refined firmware. Of the vast majority of DSL modem routers very few would get a tick from QoS point of view.

If you want decent QoS IMHO keep your present modem bridged and buy a real router..

My recommends

Asus RT-AC68U or above.

The firmware in the Asus stands head and shoulders above the average in this market space due to interaction with 3rd party community. You can also use a 3rd party called Merlin which is like beta Asus.

OR

A router that takes 3rd party the best of which for your task is gargoyle. You will need a router on the support list, something like WNDR3800 which are cheap second hand .. or a WR1043ND v2 or v3 TP-Link etc.

They are fairly cheap new.. $50US or so. You can keep your Time Capsule for TM backups and even use it for wireless. But you need a replacement router if you need control. (sadly gargoyle is not working on many new routers so the list is long but most are old or fairly slow.. should be adequate for ADSL but once you get higher speed connection will struggle) You have to google yourself. I am not allowed to give you the URL. Apple delete my posts if I do.. I can only tell you what to do not help you do it. Strange world!!

OR

Buy a higher level router, which will entail a fair learning curve.. eg Ubiquiti stuff like edgerouter or Mikrotik. These have excellent firmware with better stability and functionality cf the domestic router run of the mill products. Expect there to be some sweat and tears though.. for the average home user.. I would stick with preconfigured stuff like Asus or Gargoyle. However there is a growing community of Ubiquiti users buying both routers and APs which are great. Fair amount of info on youtube.. again your google searches are required.

Also note.. slow ADSL will never be made faster with QoS.. all you are doing is forcing some clients and applications to go even slower.. so you can maintain important connections. Overall QoS will lose you 10% of your bandwidth to just work. But it does mean your games will have low latency so you don't continually die!!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2017 5:25 PM in response to Captain Moderate

NO x 4

Apple do not believe in complexity.. therefore all but the most basic absolutely necessary options are provided (and not even many of those).

Good QoS.. is not really available on low end routers. It requires decently powerful processors and pretty refined firmware. Of the vast majority of DSL modem routers very few would get a tick from QoS point of view.

If you want decent QoS IMHO keep your present modem bridged and buy a real router..

My recommends

Asus RT-AC68U or above.

The firmware in the Asus stands head and shoulders above the average in this market space due to interaction with 3rd party community. You can also use a 3rd party called Merlin which is like beta Asus.

OR

A router that takes 3rd party the best of which for your task is gargoyle. You will need a router on the support list, something like WNDR3800 which are cheap second hand .. or a WR1043ND v2 or v3 TP-Link etc.

They are fairly cheap new.. $50US or so. You can keep your Time Capsule for TM backups and even use it for wireless. But you need a replacement router if you need control. (sadly gargoyle is not working on many new routers so the list is long but most are old or fairly slow.. should be adequate for ADSL but once you get higher speed connection will struggle) You have to google yourself. I am not allowed to give you the URL. Apple delete my posts if I do.. I can only tell you what to do not help you do it. Strange world!!

OR

Buy a higher level router, which will entail a fair learning curve.. eg Ubiquiti stuff like edgerouter or Mikrotik. These have excellent firmware with better stability and functionality cf the domestic router run of the mill products. Expect there to be some sweat and tears though.. for the average home user.. I would stick with preconfigured stuff like Asus or Gargoyle. However there is a growing community of Ubiquiti users buying both routers and APs which are great. Fair amount of info on youtube.. again your google searches are required.

Also note.. slow ADSL will never be made faster with QoS.. all you are doing is forcing some clients and applications to go even slower.. so you can maintain important connections. Overall QoS will lose you 10% of your bandwidth to just work. But it does mean your games will have low latency so you don't continually die!!

How to reduce Time Capsule buffer bloat (QoS)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.