Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to burn an album from "PHOTOS" to DVD

How to burn an album from PHOTOS to a DVD. I think I did it, but cannot view the photos on the DVD because Mac states that I cannot import the photos to "PHOTOS". I do not intend to do so. My ultimate goal is to show the photos on a TV. (I have "appleTV", and haven't used it yet). Roger

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), i- Mac 27"

Posted on Feb 20, 2017 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2017 7:52 AM

Are you wanting to view the photos on your TV set via a DVD player? If so you need to create a video DVD disk with an video DVD authoring application like iDVD.

Export the slideshow out of Photos as a QT movie file via the Export button in the upper right hand corner of the toolbar. Select 480p as the format.

Open iDVD, select a theme and drag the exported QT movie file into the open iDVD window being careful to avoid any drop zones.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best quality video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

If iDVD was not preinstalled on your Mac you'll have to obtain it by purchasing a copy of the iLife 09 disk from a 3rd party retailer like Amazon.com: ilife 09: Software or eBay.com. Why, because iDVD (and iWeb) was discontinued by Apple over a year ago.

Why iLife 09 instead of 11?

If you have to purchase an iLife disc in order to obtain the iDVD application remember that the iLife 11 disc only provides themes from iDVD 5-7. The Software Update no longer installs the earlier themes when starting from the iLIfe 11 disk nor do any of the iDVD 7 updaters available from the Apple Downloads website contain them.

Currently the only sure fire way to get all themes is to start with the iLife 09 disc:

User uploaded file

This shows the iDVD contents in the iLife 09 disc via Pacifist:

User uploaded file

You then can upgrade from iDVD 7.0.3 first to iDVD 7.0. and then to iDVD 7.1.2 to iDVD 7.1.2 via this updater: iDVD 7.1.2

NOTE: there are alternate video DVD authoring apps available via the App Store. They are not as versatile as iDVD but are more current and compatible with Sierra. A couple are free but do have more advanced versions available if you find you like the app and want more features.

No matter what app you use follow the workflow earlier in this reply.

User uploaded file

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2017 7:52 AM in response to to the sea

Are you wanting to view the photos on your TV set via a DVD player? If so you need to create a video DVD disk with an video DVD authoring application like iDVD.

Export the slideshow out of Photos as a QT movie file via the Export button in the upper right hand corner of the toolbar. Select 480p as the format.

Open iDVD, select a theme and drag the exported QT movie file into the open iDVD window being careful to avoid any drop zones.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best quality video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

If iDVD was not preinstalled on your Mac you'll have to obtain it by purchasing a copy of the iLife 09 disk from a 3rd party retailer like Amazon.com: ilife 09: Software or eBay.com. Why, because iDVD (and iWeb) was discontinued by Apple over a year ago.

Why iLife 09 instead of 11?

If you have to purchase an iLife disc in order to obtain the iDVD application remember that the iLife 11 disc only provides themes from iDVD 5-7. The Software Update no longer installs the earlier themes when starting from the iLIfe 11 disk nor do any of the iDVD 7 updaters available from the Apple Downloads website contain them.

Currently the only sure fire way to get all themes is to start with the iLife 09 disc:

User uploaded file

This shows the iDVD contents in the iLife 09 disc via Pacifist:

User uploaded file

You then can upgrade from iDVD 7.0.3 first to iDVD 7.0. and then to iDVD 7.1.2 to iDVD 7.1.2 via this updater: iDVD 7.1.2

NOTE: there are alternate video DVD authoring apps available via the App Store. They are not as versatile as iDVD but are more current and compatible with Sierra. A couple are free but do have more advanced versions available if you find you like the app and want more features.

No matter what app you use follow the workflow earlier in this reply.

User uploaded file

Feb 20, 2017 1:27 PM in response to to the sea

To burn photos to a DVD select the photos in Photos and export to a desktop folder then in the finder right click on the folder and burn to disk

As to showing on a TV that has nothing to do with either the Mac or PHotos - you need to read your TV manual or contact support for the TV to find out what its requirements are for viewing Photos

LN

Feb 20, 2017 1:56 PM in response to LarryHN

Larry, The burn worked quite well. However I still cannot view any of the photos: I keep getting the message "I cannot import the photos to PHOTO". This is not my intention. I do not have a "right click", but with a slightly different approach, after I burned the disc, when I try to view a photo, the system opens up PHOTO to that album!

Feb 22, 2017 1:11 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad, I finally was able to create a slide show and place it on the desktop. However, I cannot drag slideshow to iDVD (it will not "stick"). I press the "radiation" button and receive "errors in project have to be fixed". And, "track contains unauthorized assets". Note, the original photos are jpeg and XMP.

Also, my computer is now MUCH slower than previously. For a while the trackpad would not function completely, had to restart the computer. Very frustrating. (Working with iMac with iDVD, PHOTOS, Sierra 12.5.5). (I am beginning to think the upgrade was a mistake).

Feb 22, 2017 2:12 PM in response to to the sea

What do you mean it won't stick? Where are you dragging it to?

XMP is not an image file. It's a file that contains metadata info about the file. How is that file in the slideshow?

That may be what's causing the unauthorized asset warning. Run a test with just a few photos, all jpegs and see if you and export and drag into an iDVD menu window successfully.

Feb 22, 2017 3:29 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad, I moved photos from PHOTOS to a new folder: turns out that each jpg file (image) had a XMP file with the same number! I removed them from the folder containing photos and video to create an iMovie. I cannot move this folder to iMovie -- the folder will not stay on the iMovie. When I say "stick", the folder will not stay moved and stay where I desire it. Every time I open iMovie I get a different page! Also, I now cannot open PHOTOS!

Keep in mind I desire to make a movie from photos/ video in PHOTOS. Having a terrible time!

Feb 22, 2017 5:10 PM in response to Old Toad

Toad Hall. Thanks very much for the guidance. I think I have followed this. On my monitor I saw "options" and the burn folder was one. I ended up with "Archive.zip"; and Archive. The Archive looks to have my photos. I had to reduce the selection of photos to be within the 4.7GB capacity of my disc. (The entire selection was 4.74 GB). When I went to the "Archive" folder to burn those photos, the computer now asks for a disc of over 11GB! I am perplexed, frustrated. I have not burned anything.

how to burn an album from "PHOTOS" to DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.