You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank screen when open/saving files unless I restart

Sometimes when I try to open or save a file from an application (like MS Word), I get a blank or black screen that doesn't show any of my files. Sometimes it looks like this:

User uploaded file

Sometimes it looks just like normal except the sub-window that shows the file viewer doesn't show up.

It works normally right after I restart my computer.

I've also noticed that when I try to open a text editor, such as Sublime, I get a completely white screen and nothing shows up when I type. When I open PDFs in Preview, sometimes images don't show up either.

I have a 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina, Mid 2014. I'm currently running OSX 10.12.3. I'm pretty sure this only started when I updated to Sierra from El Capitan. I ran diagnostics and no problem was found. What can I do to fix this?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Feb 20, 2017 4:29 PM

3 replies

Feb 20, 2017 8:40 PM in response to katastrophe445

Yes.

Try running this program in your normal account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Blank screen when open/saving files unless I restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.