Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine backup virtual machines

Does time machine backup a parallels Windows virtual machine?

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.2.1, iOS 10.11.6

Posted on Feb 20, 2017 7:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2017 7:31 AM

FWIW, Time Machine backs up everything on your drive unless you exclude something, with the exception of Boot Camp Windows partitions.

I have both VMWare Fusion & VirtualBox along with numerous guests. I have Time Machine back them all up. It's much easier to restore a virtual machine from a back up than create one from scratch if something goes wrong.

I can't speak about Parallels Desktop since i don't use it but VMWare Fusion and VirtualBox do not have an option to exclude VMs from Time Machine. You would have to exclude their folder in Time Machine's preferences.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2017 7:31 AM in response to piratejoe1620

FWIW, Time Machine backs up everything on your drive unless you exclude something, with the exception of Boot Camp Windows partitions.

I have both VMWare Fusion & VirtualBox along with numerous guests. I have Time Machine back them all up. It's much easier to restore a virtual machine from a back up than create one from scratch if something goes wrong.

I can't speak about Parallels Desktop since i don't use it but VMWare Fusion and VirtualBox do not have an option to exclude VMs from Time Machine. You would have to exclude their folder in Time Machine's preferences.

Feb 21, 2017 7:36 AM in response to dialabrain

If there are no users that use Parallels who can guide me in my quest to upgrade my MacBook Pro running OS and Windows under Parallels to my new MacBook Pro, I guess, and I hope, that Parallels will help me through this. I don't want to have to reinstall everything on the Windows side for I use my MacBook heavily for my company and being without it for a day or two is something that I really don't even want to think about.

Feb 21, 2017 7:36 AM in response to piratejoe1620

The default location for your Parallels VMs is ~/Documents/Parallels. Windows, Windows apps and data are are within the VM file.

I back up my Parallel VMs without any issue and it's easy to copy them back if I ever reinstall my Mac OS and the Parallels app. If anything after a reinstall, all I have to do is sign into my Parallels account and the VM is there to use.

Feb 21, 2017 8:15 AM in response to piratejoe1620

Hello again piratejoe1620,

I double-checked and it is only Parallels that has a setting to exclude virtual disks from Time Machine backups. Apparently, newer versions of Parallels even have an "optimize for Time Machine" setting (see http://kb.parallels.com/en/115052). However, I suggest just excluding any large file like this. Time Machine isn't designed for files like this and there are lots of potential problems.

Just copy your virtual machines to some other drive. When you restore onto your new machine, copy them back. Parallels will be perfectly happy.

Time machine backup virtual machines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.