Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro "Not Charging"

When I plug my 9.7" iPad Pro into the 10W charger that came with it, it now says "Not Charging". It's the same with the 12W charger that came with my 3rd Generation iPad. (It's also the same when I plug it into my iMac but that's to be expected.) I generally charge the iPad overnight and it does, eventually, charge, but this can't be the expected behaviour, surely.

I don't know when, exactly, this started but it certainly showed charging (lightning bolt) and the charge percentage for some months after I bought it. It may have broken with the most recent iOS update. Or it's dying.

Does anybody have any idea what might have gone wrong here?

Thanks in advance,

Steve = : ^ )

iPad Pro, iOS 10.2.1, 4G, 128 GB

Posted on Feb 20, 2017 10:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2017 12:57 PM

Hi. First, iOS 10 is fussier about charging. If the device is using more power than the charger supplies, it says "not charging", which is actually true. It is not a given that a battery-powered device will charge while running. When you sleep the device, it will charge. That said, you could try a different cable, in case it's developed some flaw.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2017 12:57 PM in response to Erroll

Hi. First, iOS 10 is fussier about charging. If the device is using more power than the charger supplies, it says "not charging", which is actually true. It is not a given that a battery-powered device will charge while running. When you sleep the device, it will charge. That said, you could try a different cable, in case it's developed some flaw.

Feb 21, 2017 2:54 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Bingo! It's my way-cheaper-than-Apple's cable. I balked at paying Apple $35 for a lightning cable and had two mailed to me for less than AU$5 from ebay. But the Apple cable shows the lightning bolt and charge percentage when the iPad's awake; both cheap cables show "Not Charging".

I guess you get what you pay for. (But $35 for a 1 metre cable?)

Thanks again,

Steve = : ^ )

Sep 18, 2017 12:44 PM in response to Erroll

iPad Pro 12.9, Sept 2017, bought at Best Buy, same charging issues that others describe, tried all suggestions and none solved issue, played around and found the ISSUE...DISCONNECT YOUR KEYBOARD FROM IPAD AND THEN CHARGE, all issues, glitchy battery and charger icons, etc. went away and works as supposed to...slow.

Also, to increase the charging speed for the 12.9 inch screen, read to get the 29W Apple plug (that should come with the unit, not the outdated 12W Apple plug) and a USB-C cord to iPad and should cut charging time in half, going to get and try that today...will report back here IF not work or an issue.

iPad Pro "Not Charging"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.