Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What counts towards the storage limit in iCloud?

I am trying to manage my iCloud account within the 5GB storage limit.

What counts towards the limit?

Specifically, do deleted items in Photos? (i.e. those that are due to be permanently deleted within <30 days)

And what about shared photo albums via "iCloud Photo Sharing" - do they count again each subscribed user?

Thank you

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.2, 64GB (Dec 2014)

Posted on Feb 21, 2017 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2017 12:04 AM

Based on what I have seen and read, the Recently Deleted album counts against your iCloud storage.

To the best of my knowledge, shared albums do not count against storage.

From the linked article.

Shared album storage limits

A shared album can hold up to 5000 photos and videos. If you reach your iCloud Photo Sharing limit, you need to delete some photos or videos before adding new ones. The photos and videos you share (and the comments or likes associated with those photos) stay in iCloud until you or the contributor delete them manually, or until you delete the shared album completely.

The photos and videos in your shared albums are kept in iCloud, but they don't count against your iCloud storage limit.

Photo Sharing - iCloud

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2017 12:04 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

Based on what I have seen and read, the Recently Deleted album counts against your iCloud storage.

To the best of my knowledge, shared albums do not count against storage.

From the linked article.

Shared album storage limits

A shared album can hold up to 5000 photos and videos. If you reach your iCloud Photo Sharing limit, you need to delete some photos or videos before adding new ones. The photos and videos you share (and the comments or likes associated with those photos) stay in iCloud until you or the contributor delete them manually, or until you delete the shared album completely.

The photos and videos in your shared albums are kept in iCloud, but they don't count against your iCloud storage limit.

Photo Sharing - iCloud

What counts towards the storage limit in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.