Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can we have AirPods work with only one in the ear?

My airpods don't turn on unless both are in my ear. Can we make it that the AirPods work with either one or both in the ear. Sometimes, you just want only one AirPod in ear, not both, especially when taking a phone call. Also, make either of them work regardless of whether it is the left or right one in.

AIRPODS

Posted on Feb 21, 2017 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2017 9:37 AM

Just a heads up if you haven't figured it out. The AirPods easily work in one ear. Just put one of the headphones back in the case and use the other one.

I do it everyday at work.

3 replies

Oct 14, 2017 11:17 AM in response to Zama_9813

No. Removing one immediately stops playback.

Lifehack -

I use AirPods to listen a book to fall asleep. So, the AirPod, which is in the ear which is on pillow, disturbs.

I start to listen in 2 AitPods, then accurately drag the bottom one under the pillow and leave it there. It thinks it’s still in the ear, so the book continues to play.

Hypothesis - if you manage to cover light sensors and hide one AirPod in a pocket, that might work

It seems to have 3 light sensors. You’ll see black dots.

PS.

@Apple -

I’d appreciate possibility to use only 1 AirPod!

I bought it solely for that purpose

Can we have AirPods work with only one in the ear?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.