Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay without internet connection

Is there anyway to stream content from my iPhone 6 Plus to my Vizio smart tv without a internet connection? Also do you have to have a wifi connection for any of the Apple TV to work?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 21, 2017 10:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2017 3:32 AM

Hi. You need an internet connection to set up Apple TV, but not to use it. Obviously, it won't be able to access any on-line content when off-line. And it doesn't gracefully support storing content locally, so you'd need a network to access content. You can use peer-to-peer AirPlay to stream from your phone to Apple TV. It uses Bluetooth for discovery, and a point-to-point WiFi connection for data, no network required. You should look for apps that can stream to whatever interface your Vizio TV supports.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2017 3:32 AM in response to Smoke501

Hi. You need an internet connection to set up Apple TV, but not to use it. Obviously, it won't be able to access any on-line content when off-line. And it doesn't gracefully support storing content locally, so you'd need a network to access content. You can use peer-to-peer AirPlay to stream from your phone to Apple TV. It uses Bluetooth for discovery, and a point-to-point WiFi connection for data, no network required. You should look for apps that can stream to whatever interface your Vizio TV supports.

Sep 23, 2017 7:52 PM in response to Smoke501

I have the same problem. I only have cellular data and no hotspot data for the Apple TV.

My Apple TV is connected to my intranet but not the internet.

When I try to "mirror" videos to my Apple TV it stops mirroring and try's to play the content directly on the Apple TV resulting in an error because the Apple TV is connected to the intranet. These are just regular videos and not encrypted videos. I understand that part.

How do I force my iPhone 7 to mirror the iPhone e screen to my Apple TV.

Sep 24, 2017 3:15 AM in response to JoeWa

Hi JoeWa. AirPlay works in two modes, mirroring in which a video of the device screen is sent to Apple TV, and basic AirPlay in which the URL for the video is sent to Apple TV, which streams it direct from the internet. You're using basic AirPlay when the video player turns gray and says "This video is playing on Apple TV".

I know of two cases when iOS automatically switches from mirroring to basic AirPlay. The first is when you make the video player full screen. The solution here is to make the player larger, but not full screen. It's not elegant, but it works. The second is if you try to mirror a YouTube video. This seems to be built in to the YouTube app. The solution is use the YouTube website, and avoid full screen, of course.

AirPlay without internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.