Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a gmail address for my Apple ID?

I am having trouble changing my apple ID and I am about to cancel the email account that I originally used. When I tried to change it to my gmail account, I got a message saying that the email address is not available. Does that mean I can't use it or is there a problem with the system? Can I use my icloud address?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 21, 2017 10:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2017 12:13 AM

You can use an icloud address, but remember that if you do, you will not be able to change it; this is from the document linked to below:

If your email address ends with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com, you might not be able to change your Apple ID. You also won't see Change Email Address on your account page.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2017 12:13 AM in response to SharleneH

You can use an icloud address, but remember that if you do, you will not be able to change it; this is from the document linked to below:

If your email address ends with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com, you might not be able to change your Apple ID. You also won't see Change Email Address on your account page.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Feb 22, 2017 5:14 PM in response to SharleneH

SharleneH wrote:

I am having trouble changing my apple ID and I am about to cancel the email account that I originally used.

As far an Apple ID is concerned the email address is simply a unique identifier. The email address doesn't have to be active and reachable, although that does make life easier if you need to reset your password. Existing content cannot be transferred to a new ID, and will still be available using the current user name and password. If you have any iOS devices it is worth noting that updating apps across multiple accounts is complicated. You may be better off sticking with the original Apple ID and adding a rescue address.

tt2

Can I use a gmail address for my Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.