Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Found a lost/stolen iphone

so i found a iphone 6s plus, its locked. i called apple support to report it and try and find the owner. gave them imei number and was told they have no info on the owner just that the phone is in activation lock. ha now the owner has no phone and i have their phone and want to return it....i have no info to even begin to track them down

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 10.0.1

Posted on Feb 22, 2017 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2017 9:50 AM

Regardless of what you think, at least in the USA, privacy laws prevent any private company from getting involved with lost or stolen private property without the owner's previous explicit permission to do so. Apple has no legal authority to contact the owner, give out the owner's information, or even access the owner's account information on the request of any person. The only people with the authority to request anyone's personal account information from any company would be law enforcement, with a court order to do so.

That is why find my iPhone and activation lock are completely under the control of the owner who sets them up. Apple, anonymously, provides the mechanisms for the service, but use of the service is entirely in the hands of device owners and not Apple.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2017 9:50 AM in response to marshal33E0

Regardless of what you think, at least in the USA, privacy laws prevent any private company from getting involved with lost or stolen private property without the owner's previous explicit permission to do so. Apple has no legal authority to contact the owner, give out the owner's information, or even access the owner's account information on the request of any person. The only people with the authority to request anyone's personal account information from any company would be law enforcement, with a court order to do so.

That is why find my iPhone and activation lock are completely under the control of the owner who sets them up. Apple, anonymously, provides the mechanisms for the service, but use of the service is entirely in the hands of device owners and not Apple.

Nov 28, 2017 4:01 AM in response to Rustyabrams

Rustyabrams wrote:

There is nothing legally preventing a carrier or Apple from attempting to contact the owner of a lost or stolen phone.

So you say. I disagree. And regardless of legalities, there is Apple’s own privacy policy, which I at least expect them to honor fully: Legal - Privacy Policy - Apple (my bold added)

Access to Personal Information

You can help ensure that your contact information and preferences are accurate, complete, and up to date by logging in to your account at https://appleid.apple.com/. For other personal information we hold, we will provide you with access for any purpose including to request that we correct the data if it is inaccurate or delete the data if Apple is not required to retain it by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may decline to process requests that are frivolous/vexatious, jeopardize the privacy of others, are extremely impractical, or for which access is not otherwise required by local law. Access, correction, or deletion requests can be made through the regional Privacy Contact Form.

Feb 24, 2017 8:58 PM in response to Marylr905

I will admit I reported mine recently, and they are looking for it. I do want it back if it is mine. I had to put a dog down and one of my birds, age. Their pictures were on it. It was in an aqua otter case and color was the rose one. There is an activation lock on it. I did not lose it, though. Guess whoever disposed of my phone if it is mine.

Feb 24, 2017 11:23 PM in response to marshal33E0

Okay so once in hands of property division, if they cannot find the owner, after awhile they destroy the phones. They do not even charge the iPhone to see the contact number on the screen. To owners, this is a lot that they are out.

So basically it is better to charge the phone and call the number. If you return the phone this way, do not go alone. In fact might be best to get address and send it registered mail to owner. I am sure owners would appreciate getting their phones back.

I just heard from detective yesterday even though mine went on the 9th of February. They are so overloaded that I think most never see their iPhones again.

Do you have the name of the officer and the city? I am just interested because it could have been mine.

Found a lost/stolen iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.