Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi Stops working when using an external display.

Whenever I connect my VGA monitor to my macbook pro 13" 2015 using the VGA to Thunderbolt adapter, it makes the Wi-Fi connectivity to my macbook horrible, it makes my macbook get wifi errors and tells me that my wifi has no IP address. But as soon as I disconnect the monitor, the wifi is perfect as if it had never had problems. Around my monitor is, wireless keyboard, speakers, two lamps, wireless mouse, drone, drone controller, and metal pencil holder, and a bunch of cables under the desk to connect everything to my macbook. So I am forced to use my mac without the displays. It's like if my wifi was broken when the displays get connected. Please help, I really want to use my monitor and accessories with my macbook pro in clamshell mode! Thanks.

iOS 10

Posted on Feb 22, 2017 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2017 11:05 AM

"Certain displays can emit harmonic interference, especially in the 2.4GHz band between channels 11 and 14. This interference might be stronger if you're using a notebook computer with the lid closed and have an external monitor connected. Try changing your access point to use 5 GHz or a lower 2.4 GHz channel."

From support article: Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference - Apple Support

Are you using an original Apple VGA to Thunderbolt adapter? 3rd party adapters may cause problems.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2017 11:05 AM in response to weringo

"Certain displays can emit harmonic interference, especially in the 2.4GHz band between channels 11 and 14. This interference might be stronger if you're using a notebook computer with the lid closed and have an external monitor connected. Try changing your access point to use 5 GHz or a lower 2.4 GHz channel."

From support article: Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference - Apple Support

Are you using an original Apple VGA to Thunderbolt adapter? 3rd party adapters may cause problems.

Feb 22, 2017 7:59 PM in response to weringo

Hi weringo,

Have you tried these troubleshooting steps?

1) Reboot the Macbook

2) Turn Wi-Fi off for 30 seconds, then back on. Once with vga monitors connected, once without.

3) Put the device in Airplane mode for 30 seconds, then back on.

Have you tried using any other monitors with it? i.e. if you're using an LG monitor, have you tried a Dell or Asus monitor?

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers!

Feb 22, 2017 8:10 PM in response to caylibb

Yes, I have tried troubleshooting my Wi-Fi using many methods, I restarted my router and modem several times, I have renewed release of Wi-Fi, I have deleted and re-added Wi-Fi, with no success.

The MacBook Pro will only have a stable connection once I use it WITHOUT the monitor, so I am forced to use my MacBook without the monitor. Once I reconnect the monitor, the Wi-Fi just acts out and my MacBook tells me that the Wi-Fi has no IP Address and that my internet is not working as it should be, however the MacBook works perfectly without any errors when I am not using the monitor.

I have also rebooted the MacBook many times, into recoveryOS and have also cleared the VRAM.

None of the methods i've tried have fixed my connectivity to Wi-Fi while using a monitor.

I have not tried any other monitors. Im having this problem with the Acer K202HQL Monitors.

Wi-Fi Stops working when using an external display.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.