Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari cleared all my saved passwords?!

For no apparent reason, upon starting up today, Safari has removed ALL of my saved AutoFill usernames/passwords. Restarting doesn't help, neither does clearing the cache and restarting Safari. Passwords are all gone from Keychain Access. I had the same problem back in August – again, no warning, so discernible reason, and I couldn't get them back.

Advice, anyone?! What is happening? Can I restore my saved passwords?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.3), Safari (10.0.3)

Posted on Feb 23, 2017 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 9:09 AM

I'm currently having the same issue. When I woke up this morning my iPhone wouldn't work properly and it turns out that apppe automatically signed out of my device. When I woke up and was FINALLY able to get access to my phone again all of my passwords were gone. Honestly I've never had this problem before out of the 2.5 years I had this phone. But the fact that they are allowed to do this really ****** me off to the point where I'm thinking about going back to a windows phone next year.

Also tried the back up thing and it doesn't work for my iPhone.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2017 9:09 AM in response to ZM5W61Aki5

I'm currently having the same issue. When I woke up this morning my iPhone wouldn't work properly and it turns out that apppe automatically signed out of my device. When I woke up and was FINALLY able to get access to my phone again all of my passwords were gone. Honestly I've never had this problem before out of the 2.5 years I had this phone. But the fact that they are allowed to do this really ****** me off to the point where I'm thinking about going back to a windows phone next year.

Also tried the back up thing and it doesn't work for my iPhone.

Feb 23, 2017 6:30 AM in response to ZM5W61Aki5

Do you have a backup you can restore from?

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Keychains. Enter your backup and restore the folder.

Repeat the above, but this time Library/Safari and restore the 2 autofill db files.

Then restart the computer or log out/in.

Sep 30, 2017 1:40 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you, Eric!

I had the same problem after upgrading to High Sierra.

I did Clean Install – erased my HD.

the High Sierra installer offers an optional File Transfer feature—available only when you install onto a blank volume—that makes the process easy. As soon as the installation completes, Setup Assistant should run automatically and offer to migrate all your apps and personal files from another volume. Since you’ve made a bootable backup onto another disk, the installer can take all of your personal data from that disk and copy it to the analogous location on the High Sierra volume. | From Take Control of Upgrading to High Sierra, version 1.1.1

Keychain was off (unchecked) in the System preferences / iCloud. Switched it on.

Safari had empty Passwords Tab in the Preferences.

Your suggestion really worked. After restoring Keychain and Safari AutoFill db files needed to restart.

My saved passwords were back! 🙂

Thank you very much!

Egils

Safari cleared all my saved passwords?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.