Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts missing after deleting email address

Hi,

Am hoping someone can help me...I recently changed jobs and as part of this had to:

a) change email lined to apple id from old work email to private email

b) back up old iPhone (not sure if on cloud or to old laptop only...)

c) restore onto new iphone

d) delete iTunes from old laptop and iPhone and hand them back

This week my new iPhone, which had the old iTunes backup, was showing email issues with exchange - so I deleted m old work email from the iPhone. Since that moment the bulk of my contacts went missing.

Has anyone got any clue on how I can recover these contacts?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 23, 2017 2:28 AM

3 replies

Feb 23, 2017 3:15 PM in response to King1974

Greetings King1974,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you've restored your new iPhone with an old iTunes backup. You're having email issues with Exchange on this iPhone now, and your contacts are missing.

First, I suggest making sure that the account is setup in Settings > Contacts > Accounts.

Also, are these iCloud contacts? If so, please take a look at the steps in article: Get help finding missing information in iCloud after restoring an iOS device .

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers.

Feb 23, 2017 5:18 PM in response to mario49

Hi Mario49,

Thank you for the fast response.

I have added the new email address linked to my iTunes account but no luck.

I have really made this messy as there is not much chance I can reload the old email address as was work email, which was the one I deleted that caused the deletion of emails. I was hoping by chance the contacts would of saved or moved to be joined with the new email address - as is same iTunes account but just change in email linked to the account.

Not sure I am even making sense ATM

Feb 23, 2017 5:22 PM in response to King1974

You were obviously syncing your contacts with the Exchange account you had at your old employer. There is no way to get those contacts back without access to that account. I know this is a painful thing to learn, but do try to learn something from this. Never ever sync personal data to a company owned server. You do NOT own that data, the company does. They can revoke your access to it at any time... never mind the fact that the company has access to all of it.

Contacts missing after deleting email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.