Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I stop mac mechanic popups

How Can I stop Mac Mechanic Popups?

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 23, 2017 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2017 9:18 AM

I had this problem too. It is an adware that I accidentally installed on my computer, while trying to install a different free program. It is not related to any internet browser because the ads pop up even when all my browsers are closed. The help forums on the internet were useless... telling me to look for suspicious launch functions and extensions which were not present on my computer, and then suggesting I download another free anti-malware software! which is how I got into this mess to begin with....

Here is how I got rid of Mac Mechanic, without downloading anything new:

I used the "Activity Monitor" app to see what had happened immediately after I closed one of the obnoxious pop-ups. I saw this suspicious thing called "mmhlpr" (ie macmechanichelper perhaps...) in my activity log.

So, I clicked on it to get more info, and under the "Open Files and Ports" tab I saw the following code (3 screen shots to get it all):

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

In the code you can clearly see that an app called Mac Mechanic is present in one of the library caches under the path: Users/User/Library/Caches/com.macmechanic.mmhlpr ...

I don't know much about computers so it took me a while to figure out how to access this caches (It is hidden in finder's usual file flow...WHY?), but I eventually was able to find it in finder. On the apple finder menu I clicked "Go" and then "Go to Folder" at the bottom of the drop down menu. Then I typed "~/Library/Caches". I discovered that you must use the "~" symbol. Otherwise, you will see the wrong caches. Screen shots below:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Then I scrolled down until I saw 2 MacMechanic folders.

I deleted them.

I hope that is the end of it.

Happy Holidays!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2017 9:18 AM in response to Ptaxey

I had this problem too. It is an adware that I accidentally installed on my computer, while trying to install a different free program. It is not related to any internet browser because the ads pop up even when all my browsers are closed. The help forums on the internet were useless... telling me to look for suspicious launch functions and extensions which were not present on my computer, and then suggesting I download another free anti-malware software! which is how I got into this mess to begin with....

Here is how I got rid of Mac Mechanic, without downloading anything new:

I used the "Activity Monitor" app to see what had happened immediately after I closed one of the obnoxious pop-ups. I saw this suspicious thing called "mmhlpr" (ie macmechanichelper perhaps...) in my activity log.

So, I clicked on it to get more info, and under the "Open Files and Ports" tab I saw the following code (3 screen shots to get it all):

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

In the code you can clearly see that an app called Mac Mechanic is present in one of the library caches under the path: Users/User/Library/Caches/com.macmechanic.mmhlpr ...

I don't know much about computers so it took me a while to figure out how to access this caches (It is hidden in finder's usual file flow...WHY?), but I eventually was able to find it in finder. On the apple finder menu I clicked "Go" and then "Go to Folder" at the bottom of the drop down menu. Then I typed "~/Library/Caches". I discovered that you must use the "~" symbol. Otherwise, you will see the wrong caches. Screen shots below:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Then I scrolled down until I saw 2 MacMechanic folders.

I deleted them.

I hope that is the end of it.

Happy Holidays!

Nov 26, 2017 10:22 AM in response to Community User

I forgot a couple important steps read on...

At the beginning of the activity log you can also see the file path:

Users/User/Library/Application Support/mmc/mmhlpr.app/...

That's where the app is hiding!

So I found the "Application Support" folder in the library,

via finder menu... "Go"... "Go to Folder"... "~/library"

I deleted the "mmc" folder in the "Application Support" folder.

And while I was there, I looked around and saw another "Mac Mechanic" folder and deleted it too.

The screen shots are below:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I hope this helps someone!

And if anyone knows more steps that I missed, please let us know!

Cheers!

How can I stop mac mechanic popups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.