Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add a network printer with command line

Windows Environment and Windows Printer Server.

When I add a printer to the MAC users using the GUI this is what I do:

• System Preferences
  • Printers & Scanner
  • Unlock the lock
  • Type the administrator credentials
  • Press the + sign
  • Select the IP Tab
  • Fill the Address box e.g. 10.1.20.12
  • I select Add and OK
  • I lock again the lock

How can I achieve the above process with the terminal command line?

Thank you so much

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Feb 23, 2017 1:03 PM

8 replies

Feb 27, 2017 11:28 AM in response to Andbrowny

Hi Andbrowny, and thank you so much to take your time to replay my post.

Do I have to type the -P /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/Printer_Driver.gz ????

I just typed the following command below but nothing is happing. I do not see any printer added to my system preference printer and scanner.

The command line does not give me any error message, it just accept my command line

lpadmin -p Printer_Name -L "Printer Location" -E -v ipp://10.1.20.26

Feb 27, 2017 2:19 PM in response to fabio168

Hi again fabio,

When you add the printer manually, what driver/ppd does it use?

try this

lpadmin -p Test_Printer_Name -L "Printer Location" -E -v ipp://10.1.20.26 -P "/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks /PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generic.ppd"

This is one line and It is using the generic ppd so it may or may not work.

thanks

Feb 27, 2017 3:21 PM in response to Andbrowny

when i run the command now i receive these two error messages:

lpadmin: Unable to open PPD “/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks /PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generic.ppd”: Unable to open PPD file on line 0.

lpadmin: Unable to open PPD file “/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks /PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generic.ppd” - No such file or directory

about your question: When you add the printer manually, what driver/ppd does it use?

The printer it is located on a windows printer server, so I do believe it takes the whatever driver are installed for that printer in the server OR it just automatically find a generic drive online during the installation

Add a network printer with command line

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.