Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is com.openssh.ssh-agent and how did it get on my computer?

Is there any word on what this agent/daemon(?) is and how it got onto my computer? Is it normal that it comes up when entering the launchctl command? Can I verify somehow that it's configuration files are all set to not let someone remotely this computer?

I believe I may have been hacked based on a a ton of different things that I'm still trying to sort out. Phone and chat support it seems are not well equipped to deal with these sort of very legitimate technical questions and have otherwise been surprisingly misinformed, occasionally contradicting each other entirely.

I came across another question here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5305907?start=0&tstart=0. I ran the 5 terminal commands suggested and one of the things that the terminal printed for the third command pipeline was com.openssh.ssh-agent. I know it's used in the remote connection feature on terminal but I've never made a remote connection to anyone.

I can't find it by searching "openssh" in Finder and I am not listing anything under the privacy feature for Spotlight.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Feb 25, 2017 10:22 AM

3 replies

Feb 25, 2017 2:18 PM in response to ChaseDaniel

ssh-agent does authentication for remote login, not necessarily for someone logging into your machine, but for you to log into another. So its existence is not nefarious and may be normal as the man page indicates it will start up once logged in.

Here is some information on OpenSSH: ssh-agent(1)

If Remote Login is not selected in the Sharing System prefs, you cannot ssh into your Mac.

You can also look inside your ~/.ssh/ folder for a config file. By default it is not there. You can "cat" it and see what is in there.

The other config file is in /etc/ssh/ and is called ssh_config. The default file on macOS is completely commented out (i.e. all lines begin with #).

What is com.openssh.ssh-agent and how did it get on my computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.