Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How I convert Game Center ID to Apple ID

I had created Game Center IDs for my children's devices without email addresses. I now want to convert them to an Apple ID for their own iOS devices and family sharing. Is this possible?

I can't sign into icloud.com or iforgot.apple.com because they require an email address. The only place it appears you can manage the account from is the in Settings > Game Centre, but this only let you configure your game center profile e.g. Nickname

iOS 10.2

Thanks!!!

iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi, iOS 10.2

Posted on Feb 25, 2017 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2017 4:26 AM

An update on some additional testing:

1) on appleid.apple.com:

I have tried using sign in in by adding a @me.com @mac.com and @icloud.com, all without without success

2) on iforgot.apple.com:

I tried resetting the account using any of the 3 above suffixes results in an error "<username> is not an AppleID"

3) on the iPad:

I tried signing into iTunes account unsuccessfully with a "Could not sign in" error

4) on the Mac:

I was unable to add this account as an iCloud account, but I could add it as a Game center account (System Settings > Internet Accounts > Other Accounts > Game Center

Selecting the account I can edit.. and edit the Nickname, password, secret question and location, but no option to add an email address...

In comparison to my email based iCloud account, you can only set the nick name or click on the button that says "manage apple ID..." which takes you to appleid.apple.com in Safari

---

So it would seem the account is definitely not an iCloud account, but a Game Center account only.

I'd like to merge this with a valid iCloud account so they don't lose achievements / and saved games / friend lists

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2017 4:26 AM in response to sjrgarner

An update on some additional testing:

1) on appleid.apple.com:

I have tried using sign in in by adding a @me.com @mac.com and @icloud.com, all without without success

2) on iforgot.apple.com:

I tried resetting the account using any of the 3 above suffixes results in an error "<username> is not an AppleID"

3) on the iPad:

I tried signing into iTunes account unsuccessfully with a "Could not sign in" error

4) on the Mac:

I was unable to add this account as an iCloud account, but I could add it as a Game center account (System Settings > Internet Accounts > Other Accounts > Game Center

Selecting the account I can edit.. and edit the Nickname, password, secret question and location, but no option to add an email address...

In comparison to my email based iCloud account, you can only set the nick name or click on the button that says "manage apple ID..." which takes you to appleid.apple.com in Safari

---

So it would seem the account is definitely not an iCloud account, but a Game Center account only.

I'd like to merge this with a valid iCloud account so they don't lose achievements / and saved games / friend lists

Nov 26, 2017 1:42 PM in response to sjrgarner

I solved this on a daughter's device. Went into Game Center settings, and down at the bottom, in small font, is "Use different Apple ID for Game Center". Click that and go through the process of logging in with the old Game Center username and password. It will then suggest that that account needs to be upgraded, and offer to take you through the process of creating a new Apple ID (that we plan to only use for Game Center). So we created a new account, w a new email address xx@icloud.com. It retained her progress in at least a few games (haven't checked them all, but so far, 100 percent) with new old GC username now referred to as a nickname in that new account. When logging in on other devices, we now have to use that newly created email as the username for logging in through that same link on the GC setting page. Her "true" Apple ID remains distinct and logged in for iCloud features and her main email.

Inelegant and I had proliferating email addresses and accounts, but I don't see another way to do it.

How I convert Game Center ID to Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.