Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Related Article: Take and edit photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos are too dark and not focusing well. Help?

Photos taken with my iPhone SE appear very dark, even with the flash turned on or to auto, under normal lighting conditions, but especially when outdoors (midday/normal sunlight). I've toggled on/off between Live Photos, HDR, Burst, etc but no it makes no difference which mode is in use; they still have the same darkness problem.

Also, I'm having trouble with the focus as many pictures taken are quite blurry or out of focus, possibly due to the darkness problem? Very frustrating.

I know how to operate the camera and how to focus the camera app (I've had other iPhones previously without this issue which I've used extensively for photo taking). I am wondering if there's something I need to do differently with the SE than with previous models? Anyone else have this issue?

Please advise.

Thanks.

iPhone SE, iOS 10.2.1, Rosey-gold

Posted on Feb 25, 2017 4:21 PM

2 replies

Feb 25, 2017 4:34 PM in response to xoAnna

No, there is nothing different with the SE, it should function like other iPhones. I suspect that the camera is defective but before going to the Apple Store I would try the following.

Try holding down the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears and then allow the device to reboot.

If a restart does not help try a System Restore. First backup your device using iTunes. Also import your photos to your computer and copy all important data. Try restoring as New first and testing it. If it works then try restoring the backup and test it again. The backup could be corrupted. Here are the steps for a Restore:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

If the above steps do not help, you have eliminated the system as a cause. You may have to have it tested at an Apple store.

Photos are too dark and not focusing well. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.