Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to screenshot

When I try to screenshot by using the shortcut "command-shift-3" or "command-shift-4" the message below appears..

"Your screen shot can't be saved. Unable to create type string"

Please help. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Other OS, macOS Sierra Version 10.12.3

Posted on Feb 26, 2017 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2017 9:04 AM

I suspect a corrupt plist

Finder>Go>Go to Folder> copy and paste: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screencapture.plist

delete this plist.

You can restart an see if the problem is sorted, plist are automatically re-created to default settings

If you still have no screen shots from your terminal app (applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) copy and paste:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type png

Try your screen capture short cuts again. If all is as expected, you are done. If you do not see your screen shots on the Desktop, again from terminal copy and paste:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Desktop

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2017 9:04 AM in response to hala8

I suspect a corrupt plist

Finder>Go>Go to Folder> copy and paste: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screencapture.plist

delete this plist.

You can restart an see if the problem is sorted, plist are automatically re-created to default settings

If you still have no screen shots from your terminal app (applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) copy and paste:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type png

Try your screen capture short cuts again. If all is as expected, you are done. If you do not see your screen shots on the Desktop, again from terminal copy and paste:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Desktop

Unable to screenshot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.