Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine via SMB vs AFP on Synology's DSM 6.1

Hi,

with the release of DSM 6.1 (on a DS212+), I have moved Time Machine from AFP to SMB 3.

Things are working well with one exception: Whenever the DiskStation is hibernating, it either does not wake up when Time Machine attempts to mount the volume, or does so too late. So in both cases, the backup aborts once the response timeout period (30s by default) has elapsed.

This was never a problem under AFP.

Any ideas of why this is the case and how to resolve it?

Thanks,

-Michael.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.3), 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD

Posted on Feb 26, 2017 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2017 9:44 AM

John Galt's reply is neither absolutely accurate nor absolutely inaccurate.

The original Time Machine feature supported using either a local HFS+ formatted hard drive or a genuine Apple Mac running Server.app and acting as a Time Machine Server, or an Apple Time Capsule also acting as a Time Machine Server. The later two options i.e. Time Machine Servers required using an AFP network share.

Most NAS makers use an open source program called Netatalk to provide their AFP service and the Netatalk team have also added the ability for it to act as a Time Machine Server. However where John Galt is correct is that Netatalk have done this via much guesswork as to what Apple are doing and Apple also have a nasty habit of moving the goal posts each time they update the Mac operating system. Therefore Netatalk cannot be guaranteed to be 100% compatible. Worse still the NAS makers may not have the latest version of Netatalk in their products. Despite this Time Machine over AFP to a NAS works well enough for many people.

On the topic of backups you should always test they can be successfully used to do a restoration and should consider having two different backup systems e.g. a clone as well as a Time Machine backup.

Where John Galt is however being overly pessimistic is that Apple do not forbid NAS makers from providing Time Machine capability and for most people it has historically been 'adequate'. Furthermore in more recent times Apple have actually been more forthcoming and supportive of the efforts of NAS makers to do this. Read-on…

As you have been trying it is now possible in theory to do Time Machine backups to a Time Machine Server via SMB instead of AFP. This is officially supported using Apple's Server.app but not officially supported on a Time Capsule.

NAS makers use another different open source program called SAMBA to implement SMB support and the SAMBA team have been working on incorporating the official requirements published by Apple on how to do this. See https://developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/NetworkingInternetWeb/T ime_Machine_SMB_Spec/

However as far as I can tell the SAMBA team have not yet finished this work and therefore even if a NAS maker has included the very latest version of SAMBA it will not yet have the required changes. As a result SAMBA is not yet going to have solved any issues still remaining. See https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12380

So the current situation is that Time Machine over AFP to a NAS is in general possible and in many peoples experience 'works'. Time Machine over SMB to a NAS however is an unknown entity and very likely to still have issues and I would therefore even myself not yet rely on it.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2017 9:44 AM in response to Michael Muench

John Galt's reply is neither absolutely accurate nor absolutely inaccurate.

The original Time Machine feature supported using either a local HFS+ formatted hard drive or a genuine Apple Mac running Server.app and acting as a Time Machine Server, or an Apple Time Capsule also acting as a Time Machine Server. The later two options i.e. Time Machine Servers required using an AFP network share.

Most NAS makers use an open source program called Netatalk to provide their AFP service and the Netatalk team have also added the ability for it to act as a Time Machine Server. However where John Galt is correct is that Netatalk have done this via much guesswork as to what Apple are doing and Apple also have a nasty habit of moving the goal posts each time they update the Mac operating system. Therefore Netatalk cannot be guaranteed to be 100% compatible. Worse still the NAS makers may not have the latest version of Netatalk in their products. Despite this Time Machine over AFP to a NAS works well enough for many people.

On the topic of backups you should always test they can be successfully used to do a restoration and should consider having two different backup systems e.g. a clone as well as a Time Machine backup.

Where John Galt is however being overly pessimistic is that Apple do not forbid NAS makers from providing Time Machine capability and for most people it has historically been 'adequate'. Furthermore in more recent times Apple have actually been more forthcoming and supportive of the efforts of NAS makers to do this. Read-on…

As you have been trying it is now possible in theory to do Time Machine backups to a Time Machine Server via SMB instead of AFP. This is officially supported using Apple's Server.app but not officially supported on a Time Capsule.

NAS makers use another different open source program called SAMBA to implement SMB support and the SAMBA team have been working on incorporating the official requirements published by Apple on how to do this. See https://developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/NetworkingInternetWeb/T ime_Machine_SMB_Spec/

However as far as I can tell the SAMBA team have not yet finished this work and therefore even if a NAS maker has included the very latest version of SAMBA it will not yet have the required changes. As a result SAMBA is not yet going to have solved any issues still remaining. See https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12380

So the current situation is that Time Machine over AFP to a NAS is in general possible and in many peoples experience 'works'. Time Machine over SMB to a NAS however is an unknown entity and very likely to still have issues and I would therefore even myself not yet rely on it.

Feb 27, 2017 9:58 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks, John, for your response. Indeed, Time Machine has been working flawlessly for many, many years on my Synology NAS. This Knowledge Base document macOS Sierra: Disks you can use with Time Machinesuggests that this should also be the case under Sierra with SMB network shares. In fact, Time Machine properly recognizes both the network share and protocol (SMB as default) when setting it up via 'Select Disk...'.

I suspect that when establishing the connection, Sierra uses different timeouts for SMB and for AFP, but have no confirmation.

Dec 27, 2017 2:26 PM in response to Michael Muench

I didn't run into an issue until updating to High Sierra...

Prepare your institution for iOS 11, macOS High Sierra, or macOS Server 5.4

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207828

"...AFP can’t share files on Apple File System (APFS)."

"...If you need to share files, switch to SMB."

I needed to disable AFP in File Services > SMB/AFP/NFS in DiskStation Manager so that only SMB file service is used to connect between macOS and DSM. (I had SMB enabled already, but of course this now needs to be turned on if not.)

I then also needed to disable AFP and instead enable SMB for Bonjour service discovery of DSM File Services > Advanced > Bonjour.

For me, this resulted in also needing to re-log-in to my DiskStation via macOS Finder in order to access the NAS as I had been doing in Finder, as well as re-select the "Time Machine" shared folder on the NAS from within Time Machine to direct it to use the shared folder as the backup destination. I was able to use the existing backup without issue as opposed to needing to remove my previous backups.

Feb 27, 2017 10:25 AM in response to Michael Muench

Well, none of us can know if Apple has taken poetic license with Time Machine, and changed something in it, or how macOS Sierra addresses the auto-negotiation for SMB3.

There may be useful performance tuning info for you in this article. Check if client signing is on for the SMB3 connection between the Synology and your Mac.

Mar 12, 2017 5:08 AM in response to planiray

Hi planiray,

first make sure you have SMB enabled on your NAS. Assuming it's a Synology NAS, check this post.

Then, in System Preferences->Time Machine choose "Select Disk..." You should hopefully see one or more entries under "Available Disks" referring to your NAS. Hover over them and pick the one that starts with "smb://YOURNAS/..." You will have to provide your username and password and are ready to go.

Best of success!

Sep 29, 2017 4:53 PM in response to starbug

starbug wrote:

With respect, the statement non-Apple NAS devices are unsuitable for use with TM ist nonsense. I do TM backups since it's first release on various NAS devices from different vendors, never had a problem.

Great! That means when your unsupported Time Machine implementation fails, you won't be adding to the hundreds of reports that already exist on this site.

Time Machine via SMB vs AFP on Synology's DSM 6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.