Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud backup over 4G

How do I make my phone do its backup over 4G

I have no wifi at home - everything is wired, so my phone has wifi turned off.

I have unlimited 4G ( yes I mean unlimited ) so there is no logical reason to force me to find a wifi hotspot, find somewhere to plug my phone in then try and send it to sleep, then wait around for an hour or so for it to do a backup.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Feb 26, 2017 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2017 3:16 AM

It doesn't matter whether you have unlimited data, to backup on iCloud you'll need Wi-Fi.

You can use another device as a personal hotspot.

Read here: Share your Internet connection with Personal Hotspot - Apple Support

Check that you're connected to Wi-Fi, because you can't use iCloud Backup over a cellular Internet connection. Next, go to Settings > iCloud > Backup and tap Back Up Now. If you see the same message again, contact Apple Support.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2017 3:16 AM in response to AndyGadget

It doesn't matter whether you have unlimited data, to backup on iCloud you'll need Wi-Fi.

You can use another device as a personal hotspot.

Read here: Share your Internet connection with Personal Hotspot - Apple Support

Check that you're connected to Wi-Fi, because you can't use iCloud Backup over a cellular Internet connection. Next, go to Settings > iCloud > Backup and tap Back Up Now. If you see the same message again, contact Apple Support.

Feb 26, 2017 2:57 PM in response to AndyGadget

Unfortunately there is no option to back up other than through Wi-Fi, as it states here:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

I would suggest going somewhere like a Starbucks or library or anyplace that has free Wi-Fi and than you can backup no problem.

Just turn off the Wi-Fi off after you are done.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you wanted and good luck. 🙂

Feb 27, 2017 3:24 AM in response to AndyGadget

Yes, I know what apple say but this does not help - why do they have a policy based on some stupind 1990's philosophy that means you need to be on wifi to do specific activities.

If apple were to indemnify me for any loss or harm that may occur because thay are forcing me to use an unsecured public wifi network to backup my phone then I may be more receptive - because thats what tesco/costa/starbucks say on their t&c's when you use their wifi - its public - everything you send is open to monitoring/interception and its your choice to run the risk.

icloud backup over 4G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.