Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch battery drain

For three days in a row now my Apple Watch 2 battery has drained down to less than 10% in less than 12 hours. It never used to do that - it always lasted the full 18 hours or so that I wear it with battery to spare. Any ideas about why this would happen?

Apple Watch Series 2(SS) 38mm (2nd Gen), watchOS 3.1.3

Posted on Feb 27, 2017 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2017 4:09 PM

Hi

Battery life varies depending on use and other factors. In tests, for example, Apple achieved 18 hours of battery life with the following usage: 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use and a 30-minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth. Other examples are detailed here:

http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

Apple's tips for maximising battery life on Apple Watch are detailed here:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#watchtips

If your watch is experiencing significantly shorter battery life than Apple's examples suggest that you should expect, try the following steps, which have helped to resolve battery life issues for some users (including after updates, when usage patterns have not changed):

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Close all open apps on your iPhone and then restart both your iPhone and your watch:

Unpair and re-pair your watch:

Under previous software versions, some users reported experiencing battery life issues in connection with using corporate profiles and/or Exchange Calendars. If you are using an Exchange Calendar, one or more of these steps may help:

• Archive your Exchange Calendar for all items before today.
  • Remove / delete all old inbox messages relating to calendar invites (accept and decline notifications).
  • Create a rule in your Outlook Mail account that moves all future accept and decline replies, immediately upon receipt, into a separate mail folder that does not sync with your iPhone and Apple Watch.
  • Check your Exchange Calendar for errors.

Finally, it may help to:

Having tried the previous steps, if your watch experiences significantly shorter battery life than Apple's examples suggest that you should expect, I suggest contacting Apple Support, making a Genius Bar reservation or visiting an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance, including - if recommended - to have your watch inspected and serviced / replaced under warranty:

Apple Watch Service Answer Center - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2017 4:09 PM in response to Glenys g

Hi

Battery life varies depending on use and other factors. In tests, for example, Apple achieved 18 hours of battery life with the following usage: 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use and a 30-minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth. Other examples are detailed here:

http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

Apple's tips for maximising battery life on Apple Watch are detailed here:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#watchtips

If your watch is experiencing significantly shorter battery life than Apple's examples suggest that you should expect, try the following steps, which have helped to resolve battery life issues for some users (including after updates, when usage patterns have not changed):

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Close all open apps on your iPhone and then restart both your iPhone and your watch:

Unpair and re-pair your watch:

Under previous software versions, some users reported experiencing battery life issues in connection with using corporate profiles and/or Exchange Calendars. If you are using an Exchange Calendar, one or more of these steps may help:

• Archive your Exchange Calendar for all items before today.
  • Remove / delete all old inbox messages relating to calendar invites (accept and decline notifications).
  • Create a rule in your Outlook Mail account that moves all future accept and decline replies, immediately upon receipt, into a separate mail folder that does not sync with your iPhone and Apple Watch.
  • Check your Exchange Calendar for errors.

Finally, it may help to:

Having tried the previous steps, if your watch experiences significantly shorter battery life than Apple's examples suggest that you should expect, I suggest contacting Apple Support, making a Genius Bar reservation or visiting an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance, including - if recommended - to have your watch inspected and serviced / replaced under warranty:

Mar 1, 2017 7:54 AM in response to Bandai2007

Bandai2007 wrote:

I have the same problem :( in less than 3 hours i lost the 20% , i tried rebooting the watch, reset to factory , uninstall 3rd apps and nothing :( i have the nike version running watchos 3.1.3

Having tried the previously suggested steps, if the issue persists, contact Apple Support, make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance, including - if recommended - to have your watch inspected and serviced / replaced under warranty:

Mar 2, 2017 11:58 AM in response to Jonathan UK

@Johnathan UK, I really don't think copying and pasting the exact same text in every single post is the answer. Clearly, if it were, the problem would be solved. Meanwhile, there are new threads explaining that this is a very real problem. I don't fault you for wanting to help, but this is about the 12th time I've seen the same exact answer copied and pasted and frankly I'm thinking it's more spam-like than anything else.

Mar 2, 2017 12:00 PM in response to Jonathan UK

If you make a Genius Bar appointment and they do a diagnostic run and find the battery with any more than 80 percent of it's normal charge cycles left, there's nothing -- they say -- that can be done until it falls under 80%. I went through every single step in your repeated post and ended up at the Genius Bar being told that my answer for now is "wait for an update which could help." As I type this, I'm at 7% left after the watch being on my wrist only 6 hours today, and I haven't touched it since this morning. The screen is dark and off and it's losing power steadily like a leaking toilet.

Watch battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.