Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sign in to iTunes message - wrong email address

Hi,

I recently got a new iPhone 7 and restored it from an iTunes backup on my mac Air.

It consistently asks me to enter my iTunes password - and the email address it prompts me with is not mine. I've tried signing out and back in to iTunes (where I'm signed in with the correct Apple ID email address). Any idea how to stop these recurring prompts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

AM

iPhone 7, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 27, 2017 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2017 10:36 AM

Hi armode,

I understand that you're consistently being prompted to enter the password for an Apple ID that is not yours. I can understand the concern, and I'd be happy to help.

Does the message seem to be associated with a particular Apple service like iCloud or FaceTime? Please follow the steps here to make sure that you're signed in with the correct Apple ID for all apps and services:

Sign in with a different Apple ID on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
It could also be possible that you have content installed on the device that was originally purchased with a different Apple ID than your own. To check for any apps that might have been installed with a different Apple ID, open the App Store and tap "Updates". If you're prompted for an Apple ID other than your own when you attempt to update an app, you may need to delete it and redownload it using your Apple ID.
Take care!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2017 10:36 AM in response to armode

Hi armode,

I understand that you're consistently being prompted to enter the password for an Apple ID that is not yours. I can understand the concern, and I'd be happy to help.

Does the message seem to be associated with a particular Apple service like iCloud or FaceTime? Please follow the steps here to make sure that you're signed in with the correct Apple ID for all apps and services:

Sign in with a different Apple ID on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
It could also be possible that you have content installed on the device that was originally purchased with a different Apple ID than your own. To check for any apps that might have been installed with a different Apple ID, open the App Store and tap "Updates". If you're prompted for an Apple ID other than your own when you attempt to update an app, you may need to delete it and redownload it using your Apple ID.
Take care!

Nov 20, 2017 7:33 PM in response to armode

This is currently happening to me with my new iPhone X on the most recent software update with all apps up to date. It appears to only be related to iiTunes. My thoughts are that there are specific songs in my library that were originally purchased on someone else’s account (I think I had taken them off an iPod I bought.) Is there a way to stop these notifications? It’s happening for 3 or 4 different email addresses.

Kaitlyn

Feb 17, 2018 5:24 PM in response to armode

I am having this issue with the iPhone X I just bought today, but it's not any one Apple ID I recognize, it's like 5 or 6 random spammy-looking email addresses. They popped up when I was doing the restore at the Apple store, and the sales rep had me log into iCloud and verify that there weren't any mysterious email addresses there, and there were not. He said not to be concerned about it. Well now I'm home and the restore is complete and I'm getting random pop-ups saying "Sign in to the iTunes Store" - Enter the password for your Apple ID. And then it lists one of several random emails like "s_neu@t-online.de". I can't seem to clear this pop-ups. Any idea where they're coming from or how to get rid of them?

Mar 5, 2017 3:44 PM in response to chris_g1

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. The prompt I'm getting is associated with iTunes (it's asking me to sign in to the iTunes store specifically). I tried signing out of iTunes and then back in, and that didn't seem to do anything.

I also went to the app store and updated everything that was listed there - nothing asked me to enter an apple ID other than my own.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but the ID that keeps popping up on the prompt is from my same university (although my apple ID is my personal email, not my university email account).

Any ideas of something else I could try?

thanks in advance,

AM

Feb 14, 2018 7:53 PM in response to armode

I found the solution to this, for me.

I had the same problem. Everything says I'm logged into one email address Apple ID, but when I go to update apps it asks me to sign in with a different email/Apple ID.

Cause: I must've downloaded those apps using the old Apple ID.

Solution: delete those apps and re-download them. It doesn't ask for the wrong Apple ID email anymore. Yes!

Sign in to iTunes message - wrong email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.