Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No signal until repeated reboot / network settings reset

My phone is an iPhone 6, 64 GB, model NG4F2ZD/A, provider is T-Mobile Germany. Refurbished one bought through eBay, no warranty any more.

What happens? The network signal goes away ("No network") and won't come back (I let it wait a whole day once) until I reset network settings multiple times (dozens of attempts later sometimes). If it does not come back after reset, the Settings app will not show the "Provider" settings item.

It all started when I was working remote for a few days and used my iPhone as a WiFi hotspot, transporting quite some data (macOS update, XCode update, checking out a huge code repository). It lost signal, and didn't get it back even after a reboot, and resetting network settings helped finally. The time between two occurrences of such "fatal" signal loss decreased over two or three days to just a few minutes, when resetting network settings just once didn't help any more.

I went to a T-Mobile shop and got a new SIM. It worked again for a while, until I tried hotspot mode again. For the past weeks, the situation has been "stable":

As long as I do not power down the phone or go into airplane mode, I got a signal and can use the phone as expected (didn't try hotspot mode again though). Until as it gets powered down due to battery used up, or even just when I switch it into airplane mode. Then, I need to repeat the network settings reset again and again many times until I get a signal again.

OTA update to latest iOS (10.2 back then) did help temporarily, much like the network settings reset. Full restore to latest iOS didn't help at all unless I tried the network settings reset a few more times.

When the phone works, it works for days. Last time it was working more than a week until I put it into airplane mode without thinking. Plus, software resets will help. So I assume it's not a hardware issue.

It's not SIM related, since I replaced the SIM.

In the beginning, for a week or so I assumed it might be related to a geographic location (new firmware on mobile transmission towers or whatever), but that showed to be coincidence, later this happened everywhere.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and/or knows a way on how to avoid this signal loss?

iPhone 6, iOS 10.2

Posted on Feb 28, 2017 2:17 AM

4 replies

Feb 28, 2017 2:33 AM in response to Ella Fitzgerald

Thanks for the fast reply, but that was one of the first documents I found and tried, see my text above 😉

1. Power cycle: this actually leads to the problem.
  2. Carrier settings update: didn't write about it, but I did check that (and the guy in the T-Mobile shop as well) and they're up to date.
  3. Taking SIM out or replacing it didn't help, tried that.
  4. Reset network settings - that indeed helps, when trying a few dozen times in a row 😢
  5. Updating the phone didn't help, see above.
  6. I spoke to my carrier while getting the replacement SIM, didn't solve the issue.
  7. I restored the device as I wrote above, without success.

No signal until repeated reboot / network settings reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.