Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule connection problem

I have an Airport Time Capsule that I use to create Wifi network in my home and use my MacBook wirelessly. The problem is the Mail app and my Brother DCP-L2520DW printer isn't working properly. Mails come through only occasionally and the printer only prints after a very long wait, usually at the same time a mail comes through. I can use the internet and even stream videos at the same location where my printer is. All diagnostics and the Airport utility say my connection is fine. Still something is wrong and I can't even begin to guess what it is so I can't do any web searches to find the solution. I have restarted and updated both the Airport firmware and the printer drivers. Also I switched from using Airprint to CUPS since I read that Airprint can cause similar problems.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Feb 28, 2017 8:10 AM

6 replies

Mar 1, 2017 11:53 AM in response to kaipaika

Ok, please be aware that just disabling the Technicolor's Wi-Fi does not automatically disable its routing functions.

Again, you do not have to disable this feature on the Technicolor. I would recommend that you do so on the Time Capsule.

To do so, you would use the AirPort Utility, as follows:

• Run the AirPort Utility.
  • Select the TC, and then, select Edit.
  • Select the Network tab.
  • Change Router Mode to: Off (Bridge Mode).
  • Select Update and allow the base station to restart.

User uploaded file

Feb 28, 2017 12:36 PM in response to kaipaika

Also I switched from using Airprint to CUPS since I read that Airprint can cause similar problems.

AirPrint is only used for printing from an iOS device. When using CUPS you are basically using the core printer functionality of your Mac.

• Is the problem with both mail and printing for both of your Macs (iMac & MacBook) or just a single device? Regardless which version of OS X or macOS are they running?
  • Which exact model is your Time Capsule (TC)?
  • Is the TC the only router in your current network configuration?
  • What is the make & model of your Internet modem?
  • On the Mac that connects to the network by wireless, please provide the following information from the Wi-Fi menu on the OS X / macOS menu bar:
    (Note: To access the following values, hold down the Option key before clicking on the Wi-Fi icon.)
    • RSSI = ?
    • Noise = ?
    • PHY Mode = ?
    • MCS Index = ?

Feb 28, 2017 1:56 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you for trying to help.

Is the problem with both mail and printing for both of your Macs (iMac & MacBook) or just a single device? Regardless which version of OS X or macOS are they running?

I only use the printer with my MacBook. I don't use the iMac anymore. My MacBook is a Pro Retina 13 inch mid 2014 running OSX 10.11.6, El Capitan.

Which exact model is your Time Capsule (TC)

The latest model

Is the TC the only router in your current network configuration?

The only one generating a wireless network? Yes.

What is the make & model of your Internet modem?

Technicolor TC7200

On the Mac that connects to the network by wireless, please provide the following information:

• RSSI = -37 dBm
  • Noise = -93dBm
  • PHY Mode = 802.11ac
  • MCS Index = 8

I did not factory reset my TC when i updated the firmware. I don't have any antivirus. The only extra thing is Ghostery extension for Safari. I have very little non Apple software. The printer has worked before with the same configuration and I can't remember doing anything special before running into this problem. The Mail app might have been buggering me before but not so much that I would have needed to do anything about it.

Mar 1, 2017 10:16 AM in response to kaipaika

What is the make & model of your Internet modem?

Technicolor TC7200

The Technicolor TC7200 is not a simple modem but a combination modem and router. These are also known as gateway devices. With the Time Capsule you would have two routers in your current network configuration. With that said is the Time Capsule reconfigured as a bridge or do you have the TC7200 reconfigured as such?

• On the Mac that connects to the network by wireless, please provide the following information:
    • RSSI = -37 dBm
    • Noise = -93dBm
    • PHY Mode = 802.11ac
    • MCS Index = 8

Ok, thanks for these. They look fine.

I did not factory reset my TC when i updated the firmware.

It will depend on how the TC is currently configured. Again only one of your routers should be providing routing functions, the other should be in bridge mode. The one that I recommend should be is the TC (Time Capsule) as it is downstream of the Technicolor.

Feb 28, 2017 12:50 PM in response to kaipaika

It will help to know the exact layout of the network.

What modem do you have? Make and model please.

What model TC?

How is it connected to the network and working in what mode? (bridge or router??)

What OS is on the MacBook?

I presume that the printer is connected by wireless or ethernet not USB?

I have restarted and updated both the Airport firmware and the printer drivers.

Did you reset the TC to factory and start over with a clean configuration?

I don't think your TC is at fault.. if you have Sierra on the laptop then maybe it is there.

Has this setup been working properly in the past, before Sierra and now not working since Sierra??

Sierra increased security to network drives.. in a way that bit back at lots of things..

The problem Sierra has is not actually being able to maintain the connection to the TC.. if the computer sleeps you need to re-authenticate to the network connection.. this is deliberate to stop ransomware wiping out your backup.. but unfortunately the bugs are still in the system. (It is also very hard to increase security without making itself a total pain).

Now for some suggestions..

1. Make sure you don't have any AV, security or adware on your Mac.. any of those 3rd party software programs can result in your connection being impossible .. not just difficult.

Apple specifically mentions AV software must not scan the destination drive.. but our experience is much more difficult and we recommend full removal if you hope to get TM to work.

2. The Mac must connect directly to the TC.. either wireless or better ethernet.. not via another network router or AP.

3. The Mac must have IPv6 set to link-local only.. not auto. (unless you are on IPv6 Internet).

4. Reset the TC to factory and use very short names.. Not apple recommended.. names <10 characters, no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Passwords same mixed case and numbers but >8 characters.

5. IP address does not change.. This is not an issue where the TC is main router.. but if it is bridged talk to us.

It can be set via the TC itself or via the main router DHCP reservation or use static IP setup instead of bridge.

Mar 1, 2017 11:48 AM in response to Tesserax

I know that the Technicolor also is able to create a wireless network but it is set up not to do so at the moment. I don't know the specifics of the setup but will check according to your description. Unfortunately I will have to take a couple of weeks off from this project. Thank you and hope we can continue this discussion later. Also, if I find a solution I will report in this thread, in case someone else has similar problems.

Airport Time Capsule connection problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.