Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport express dropout: What worked for me

I purchased an AirPort Express to supply music to bedroom speakers. I also purchased a Toslink cable to go from the AirPort Express to the speakers. When I got the AirPort Express set up as a client on my 5 GHz Wi-Fi and began playing music through it, using iTunes, I had problems.

The phenomenon: it would play a few seconds of music, then pause, then play a few more seconds of music, then pause, etc. Now I was playing the music from my laptop which also was on the 5 GHz Wi-Fi; in addition, the laptop was pulling the music through the Wi-Fi from a desktop.

A little thought lit up in my head, with all that traffic on the 5 GHz Wi-Fi, it seemed that the buffer for the AirPort Express airplay maybe was running out of data before it could be refreshed, and hence the dropouts. How to fix? Fortunately the Linksys router has both a 5 GHz and a 2.5 GHz Wi-Fi band. Almost everything is using the 5 GHz so I thought why not put the AirPort Express on the 2.5 GHz band which is not being utilized and see if that allows it to receive a steady datastream.

So I did. And it works!

Without more testing and analysis I cannot show definitively that that was the cause of my dropouts, however the problem is solved and now I have other problems to solve. I do think that for better quality music wired would be preferred, but of course Wi-Fi is so convenient.

Perhaps the A-exp has a small buffer, whereas the Apple TV has a larger buffer, so data dropouts are more prevalent on the Air-exp vs the Apple TV.

Hope this can be useful.

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 2, 2017 6:52 AM

6 replies

Mar 3, 2017 11:07 AM in response to ibgb

I have had no problems with 5ghz, except when I tried to bond 2 channels for more throughput. That requires both channels always working together, and one gets a 80Mhz bandwidth. But always a channel would get interrupted, causing the link to stop working. I changed to one 40Mhz channel and 5Ghz wifi has been very steady, in any room.

Ah, maybe because the AirPort Express can only handle up to 40 MHz-wide channels on the 5 GHz band.

Ref: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Mar 2, 2017 8:40 AM in response to ibgb

Thanks for the writeup. A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

• Where is the AirPort Express physically in relation to the Linksys router? Same room, different room, or different floor?
  • I am assuming that the Express was configured to join the Linksys' 5 GHz network originally ... correct?
  • Then you just reconfigured the Express to join the Linksys' 2.4 GHz network instead ... correct?
  • Finally, which version of wireless security are you running on your network ... WPA or WPA2?

Mar 3, 2017 5:37 AM in response to Tesserax

Q & A:

Where is the AirPort Express physically in relation to the Linksys router? Same room, different room, or different floor?

Same floor, different room

I am assuming that the Express was configured to join the Linksys' 5 GHz network originally ... correct?

Yes

Then you just reconfigured the Express to join the Linksys' 2.4 GHz network instead ... correct?

Yes, only other device is a printer. Don't know, but maybe printing will cause sonic dropouts now....

Finally, which version of wireless security are you running on your network ... WPA or WPA2?

WPA2

Also, I was streaming SoundCloud via the Safari web browser (osx 10.12.3, safari 10.0.3) and there were dropouts, start/stop hiccups, like a phono needle skipping back to the start of a song. I tried Firefox and Chrome. They both worked perfectly. Something not right with Safari + soundcloud.com and Air Express. Curiously, the Apple TV v 3 worked as an Airplay target where the Airport Express had issues, BUT that Atv3 is wired so that is not exactly the same situation.

Wait....

I just ran twisted pair to the AExp and took it off wifi. SoundCloud would start but would still dropout with safari, but the other browsers worked fine. It maybe not enough sound samples are buffered in the AirExp and it keeps running out. Maybe the Apple TV has bigger buffers?

If there are issues, start with the AExp wired, then try a variety of software. Some software may have issues.

Mar 3, 2017 9:52 AM in response to ibgb

Same floor, different room

From experience, and regardless of what router manufacturers say, the 5 GHz band is basically only useable if you are in the same room as the wireless access point. It would also support your findings that moving your Express to the 2.4 GHz band gave you much better results.

Yes, only other device is a printer. Don't know, but maybe printing will cause sonic dropouts now....

Like any other device operating on the same band, they all have to share the same bandwidth. Also, remember on wireless, no two clients can "talk" at the same time. As you can imagine, when the printer is being sent a large print job, the Express, can only access the network in between any wireless transmission gaps. Finally, steaming uses UDP over IP to communicate. UDP is a connectionless protocol. Everything sent down the wire is not verified that it is received. Actually you want it that way, otherwise songs would sound funny if packets have to be resent. UDP is also used primarily for voice communications for the same reasons. The printer, on the other hand, relies on the TCP protocol which does require a connection be established before receiving the print jobs. This assures that both the sender and the recipient get all of the data as it was intended.

WPA2

Good! This wireless security type uses the least amount of overhead and provides the best overall bandwidth between clients.

I just ran twisted pair to the AExp and took it off wifi. SoundCloud would start but would still dropout with safari, but the other browsers worked fine. It maybe not enough sound samples are buffered in the AirExp and it keeps running out. Maybe the Apple TV has bigger buffers?

I do know that the Express has a 2-second buffer, but I honestly don't know what buffer is used for the Apple TV. Since the Apple TV is primarily used with both audio & video, I can imagine it has a much larger buffer.

An audio stream from the Mac, regardless of the source, must first be compressed using Apple's Lossless Compression (ALAC) via a QuickTime codec, encrypted with 128-bit AES, before it is sent to the Express. In turn, the Express will first decrypt the stream, then decodes ALAC to an encoded digital audio (PCM) format at the same audio quality level of the original source audio file format. It then buffers it for up to 2 seconds before it outputs it out either analog/optical digital audio port.

You may want to compare using iTunes with a local media library on your Mac vs. SoundCloud when streaming to see if there is any difference.

Mar 3, 2017 10:53 AM in response to Tesserax

From experience, and regardless of what router manufacturers say, the 5 GHz band is basically only useable if you are in the same room as the wireless access point. It would also support your findings that moving your Express to the 2.4 GHz band gave you much better results.

I have had no problems with 5ghz, except when I tried to bond 2 channels for more throughput. That requires both channels always working together, and one gets a 80Mhz bandwidth. But always a channel would get interrupted, causing the link to stop working. I changed to one 40Mhz channel and 5Ghz wifi has been very steady, in any room.

The reason I think the 2.4 GHz band works better is that the AirExp is the only device there; no contention for the channel. In someways the Apple TV is better for streaming, just ignore the video stuff. Too bad they took away the Toslink/optical/audio output.

airport express dropout: What worked for me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.