Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 10.2.1 iPhone 6 Plus - Very Slow

Since installing the iOS 10.2.1 update on my iPhone 6 Plus the overall performance has become nearly unusable.

It constantly plays catch up when typing anything whether it is an internet search, e-mail content or anything else. It feels like something has a big memory leak and it's operating with any available memory and struggling massively.

I have done all the 'usual' disabling of certain transparency effects and background app refresh, forced reset, reboot; all to no avail.

I don't consider restoring it to factory settings an avenue to take as a test as I cannot lose my text messages.

The only thing that's changed is the iOS update. Is anyone else having problems?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Mar 2, 2017 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2017 6:38 AM

Hello stoobloo,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that after installing the iOS 10.2.1 update, your iPhone 6 Plus is running very slow.

Since this started after an iOS update, let's backup your iPhone and reinstall iOS. First, use this article to make sure that you have a backup of your iPhone: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch . Then, use this article to reinstall iOS: If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch . Note: This article is intended to be for a different issue but following steps 1-5 will help you reinstall iOS without erasing data.

Once you'e done this, test and see if you get the same issue.

Have an amazing day!
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2017 6:38 AM in response to stoobloo

Hello stoobloo,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that after installing the iOS 10.2.1 update, your iPhone 6 Plus is running very slow.

Since this started after an iOS update, let's backup your iPhone and reinstall iOS. First, use this article to make sure that you have a backup of your iPhone: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch . Then, use this article to reinstall iOS: If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch . Note: This article is intended to be for a different issue but following steps 1-5 will help you reinstall iOS without erasing data.

Once you'e done this, test and see if you get the same issue.

Have an amazing day!

Sep 16, 2017 8:22 AM in response to jeremy_v

The 10.2 update has made my iphone 5s slower than the very first smart phone that I ever purchased. I have tried additional updates and it does not fix the issue. It is searching through email to find simple things like the name of my wife even though I text her like 10000 times a year. Lame. This update is the thing that has me shopping for my new non-Apple device.

Oct 15, 2017 10:38 PM in response to jeremy_v

I have had this same "lagging" problem since ios10.0 I am now on latest version 11.0.3 and the problem has only gotten worse. I tried resetting phone with the Update as you suggested to others, but my phone is still severly lagging....as in 12 seconds for Google to open....another 5sec before I can type any text into the search box. Weather Channel is a nightmare. Are there any other suggestions to alleviate this problem? or am I being slowly abused until I purchase a newer Iphone?

Oct 16, 2017 1:33 AM in response to Slowhand69

I don't think you are being abused. My iPhone 6 Plus was the longest used iPhone I've ever had. I guess due to the ever-expanding feature set of iOS and capabilities of each generation of iPhone; Apple are between a rock and a hard place; introducing the same feature set to older devices with slower processors and less and slower RAM is only ever going to decrease responsiveness for users of older devices. If they provided 'trimmed-down' versions for older devices then perhaps it would make development and release cycles even harder to adhere to.

I now have a new iPhone 8 Plus, and obviously it's lightning fast, and near instant for most tasks I throw at it. I think you just need to consider, at least at present to keep up with the latest software features, you need the latest hardware. If that means buying a new device every 2 - 3 years, then that's it.

I've never owned an 'Android' but I know friends that have similar experiences when a new version comes out on an older handset.

Oct 20, 2017 11:47 PM in response to jetsf64

I am having the same problems and I agree with you 100% !! It is absurd to think that just because Apple introduces a new model of iPhone, that all other models become obsolete. In my profession, I work amongst so many iPhone users and these problems certainly seem to be occurring These issues seem to be a commonality amongst those of us with 6S Plus phones since the latest updates. I certainly hope that Apple will hear our voices and respond to the fact that so many of their loyal Apple users are having the SAME problems since the latest updates. I think it is only reasonable to anticipate that the updates to our phones are aimed to help with their functionality rather than to slow them down?! Apple, do you hear us?? Please look into this issue!!

Nov 6, 2017 1:40 PM in response to BoneNursenGa

Well, Apple will hear MY voice very clearly, as I've pretty much made up my mind to replace my iPhone 6 Plus with a Google Pixel phone. Apart from a moderate drop onto carpet resulting in a screen crack (despite having armor glass cover), the phone has become so laggy it no longer is a joy to use. My storage is at 47GB of 64 total, so if that's part of it, I don't see the point in paying extra for extended storage if one can't even get close to maxing it out without the phone becoming super slow. And if that is the normal product cycle, i.e. a phone becoming basically obsolete after just 2.5 years, that's not acceptable to me. I mean, I don't have a money printing press at home.

iOS 10.2.1 iPhone 6 Plus - Very Slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.