Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS bluetooth headphones battery level

I can see the battery level of my bluetooth headphones on my iPhone or iPad, but cannot through macOS Sierra. Is there a way to enable this?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Mar 2, 2017 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2017 4:42 PM

What brand of Bluetooth headphones are you using? I have a pair of Apple (Beats) and they show the battery condition when I select Settings>Bluetooth a battery icon appears next to the headphone listing. perhaps the manufacturer has an app or driver that that you can download for macOS Sierra.

10 replies

Jan 3, 2018 7:05 AM in response to cfunk

I have exactly the same problem. I am using Coulax in-ear bluetooth buds.

I can see the headphone icon with the vertical battery level indicator at the top of my iPhone status bar (iOS 11.2.1). I have used other bluetooth earbud brands before and the iPhone has always showed the bluetooth battery level at the top of the screen, regardless of whether it was a well known brand or a cheap no-name brand bought at an airport lounge.

However, when I click on the bluetooth icon on my Mac menu bar (High Sierra 10.13.2) and select each bluetooth device I can see the battery level percentage for my Apple branded devices (Magic Keyboard and my Magic Trackpad 2), but not for my non-Apple/Beats headphones.

If all bluetooth 4.0+ devices already share their battery level with the bluetooth host they are connected to, and Apple already receives and displays this information one their mobile devices, why can't they do the same on their desktop and laptop devices, without requiring OEMs to build some proprietary Apple specific drivers for Apple's MacOS bluetooth stack?

Jan 3, 2018 8:33 AM in response to cfunk

If your Bluetooth headphones are paired to MacOS, then on the System Preferences : Bluetooth panel, ensure that Show Bluetooth in menu bar is checked.

From the Menubar, click the Bluetooth icon, and under Devices, locate your headphone name and follow its submenu. In faded gray, your remainder Battery Level will be shown as a percentage.

Jan 11, 2018 8:43 PM in response to VikingOSX

Using a pair of Beats Studio 2.0 Wireless and I am not seeing the percentage. I can see it just fine when I connect them to my iPhone, and can also see percentages for my Magic Mouse, but not the Beats.

Ideas to troubleshoot? Have tried restarting both the MBP and Beats. Running High Sierra 10.13.2 on a 2013 Retina 15" MacBook Pro.

macOS bluetooth headphones battery level

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.