Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad on Consumer Cellular network?

Does anyone have their wifi+cellular iPad with Sim on the Consumer Cellular network? Consumer Cellular says if I have an unlocked tablet with GSM that it should work.

Posted on Mar 2, 2017 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2017 7:08 AM

The short answer is to go here: http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/settings.php?id=179

I spent at least 10 hours struggling with this. I contacted Apple software support, and my case was escalated to the senior level. I went to the "Genius" bar twice. The second time, the Genius spoke directly with Consumer Cellular (CC) tech support on the phone. After all this, everybody agreed that the problem could not be solved. They all just gave up. (Even tho the senior software guy had assured me he was "taking ownership" and guaranteed a solution.) Finally I tried searching online myself and found the link above. Within 5 minutes it worked!

Why? CC does not have a physical cell network, but rents it from other carriers (AT&T in my case). That complicates the setup especially on an ipad. CC is priced low but their tech support is weak. For some reason, in the latest iOS Apple has blocked access to the necessary ipad configuration settings. For some other reason, a kindly geek in New Zealand has taken it upon himself to provide an app that can be downloaded, installed, and made to take care of everything. Shame on Apple for (1)hiding the configuration settings and (2) not cluing in their support staff.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2017 7:08 AM in response to TrekHer

The short answer is to go here: http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/settings.php?id=179

I spent at least 10 hours struggling with this. I contacted Apple software support, and my case was escalated to the senior level. I went to the "Genius" bar twice. The second time, the Genius spoke directly with Consumer Cellular (CC) tech support on the phone. After all this, everybody agreed that the problem could not be solved. They all just gave up. (Even tho the senior software guy had assured me he was "taking ownership" and guaranteed a solution.) Finally I tried searching online myself and found the link above. Within 5 minutes it worked!

Why? CC does not have a physical cell network, but rents it from other carriers (AT&T in my case). That complicates the setup especially on an ipad. CC is priced low but their tech support is weak. For some reason, in the latest iOS Apple has blocked access to the necessary ipad configuration settings. For some other reason, a kindly geek in New Zealand has taken it upon himself to provide an app that can be downloaded, installed, and made to take care of everything. Shame on Apple for (1)hiding the configuration settings and (2) not cluing in their support staff.

Mar 2, 2017 4:25 PM in response to TrekHer

Others on the forum have gotten it to work, however they've also said to not bother trying to get help from consumer cellular because they really don't know the exact ins and outs of how to troubleshoot a device.

It seems to be a kind of 'you're on your own' for figuring it out.

I have consumer cellular for my phone but not a data plan for my ipad so no real experience

iPad on Consumer Cellular network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.