Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is itunes being discontinued? What can we use instead?

Is itunes being discontinued? I am tired of trying to find specific music because we are no longer able to organize it. What can we use instead?

Posted on Mar 2, 2017 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2017 3:18 PM

Mrs Lib wrote:

Is itunes being discontinued? I am tired of trying to find specific music because we are no longer able to organize it. What can we use instead?

No.

Here is information about the most recent version.

User uploaded file

8 replies

Mar 2, 2017 6:28 PM in response to ed2345

I have the latest version of itunes. That is the problem. It gets worse with every upgrade. Can I go back to before the Sierra upgrade? I want to be able to organize my music again so I can find the music I want to listen to. Since Apple is aware of the problem & doing nothing, I thought itunes might be on the way out.

Mar 3, 2017 4:38 AM in response to Mrs Lib

Mrs Lib,

I've been using iTunes since version 1 point something, and while I do think it used to be more elegant and functional, I've generally found that you can get back to something like the old organization with enough poking around to discover where the features are hidden now. For example, I always like to use the traditional column view for everything. And you can do that in the current version, 12.5.5, by using either the main Songs setting for your whole library, or setting your playlists to View > View As... > Songs. Columns can then be customized however you like.

Also, there was a great tip posted here recently for speeding up the process of searching for an individual file. First you type anything into the search bar at the upper right. Then click on the magnifying glass icon, and from the drop-down menu, un-check "Search Entire Library" and instead check any one of the selections under "Find By." After you've done this once, the setting will persist and the search process will be, at a rough estimate, one gazillion times faster.

I hope some of this might be helpful.

Mar 3, 2017 7:28 AM in response to Chris CA

Major problem: Upgrades have split my albums into different Genres or just switched to another one. Trying to correct this isn't working. I have already talked to support about this. We tried everything & they agreed there is an issue as I am not the only one reporting problems. Also trying to organize artists by last name first only works half the time. I had no problems before Sierra.

Is itunes being discontinued? What can we use instead?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.