Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Daisy chaining two DisplayPort monitors with late 2016 MacBook Pro

I have late 2016 MacBook Pro, that has only USB Type-C ports. Does anybody have a working setup where they drive two daisy chained (via DisplayPort) 4K monitors out of a single USB Type-C port on the MacBook Pro?

In particular, if I were to get two 24" 4K monitors such as Dell P2415Q (or similar), will this setup work:

• Connect MacBook Pro to the first monitor using single USB Type-C to DisplayPort cable.
  • Daisy chain the two monitors (DisplayPort-out on the first monitor to DisplayPort-in on the second monitor).

Or would I need to connect MacBook Pro to each monitor directly?

Posted on Mar 3, 2017 11:39 PM

6 replies

Mar 4, 2017 11:53 AM in response to cavemees

Thanks for the reply. I saw that article previously. As well as few other helpful articles linked from it. Unfortunately, they all stop short of answering my particular question.

One of the articles linked from there references Apple USB Type-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (referenced here), and says it does not support monitors with DisplayPort inputs at all (only Thunderbolt monitors). And it has a bit unclear wording that might suggest only single Thunderbolt monitor might be supported when using that particular adapter. Anyhow, that adapter wouldn't work for me anyhow, as it doesn't support mini-DisplayPort at all.

I have an 3rd party USB Type-C to DisplayPort adapter (this one) and it worked to connect MacBook Pro to a single 4K monitor with DisplayPort input.

Most likely using two of those adapters to connect each monitor directly would work, with some cable mess on the desk. But I've been dealing with hardware for long enough to know not to make such assumptions blindly.

What I'd really like to know is, if using single USB Type-C to DisplayPort adapter would work too, in daisy chain configuration. Would any 4K capable adapter work, or is there fine print I should look for in the specs (i.e. this feature or that).

Since I currently don't have all the hardware to test what combinations might work, I was wondering if anybody actually has one of the above two configurations working smoothly. Either connecting each monitor directly using two adapters, or (ideally) using single adapter and daisy chaining monitors.

This may influence if I'll go with single 32" 4K monitor (these are about halfway between regular and what Apple calls "retina" displays), two 24" 4K monitors (these have about enough DPI to be in the "retina" display class), or just skip high res monitors until there's such thing as half-decent 27" or 32" 5K monitor that doesn't require multiple DisplayPort cables to connect to (current LG 27" 5K model sold by Apple is the only 5K monitor I could find out there that doesn't require dual-cabling, but it and smaller LG 4K monitor has dreadful reviews, I'm not willing to risk buying that one; and there's no other 5K monitors announced for release anytime soon either).

Mar 4, 2017 1:42 PM in response to Alex--

I did bit more research and it doesn't look promising. I found this post from last year claiming daisy chaining over DisplayPort doesn't work on Macs at all; and that Macs support daisy chaining only Thunderbolt monitors. Further, it seems even if it was possible, daisy chaining two 4K monitors using DisplayPort 1.2, the refresh rate would drop to only 30Hz. Oh well. That much about that...

Jun 13, 2017 10:37 AM in response to Alex--

I also have the late 2016 Macbook Pro which only has USB Type-C ports. I have (2) 27" Acer K272HUL ( monitors which I daisy chained (via Display Port) and then used a Display port to USB Type-C cable to connect to my MacBook Pro.

This does work but unfortunately, the second monitor mirrors the first display and there is no way to resolve this issue. Everything I am reading is that the hardware supports it but the OS does not. I'm not sure if this will be offered in High Sierra but until then I'll need to pick up a second cable.

Amazon.com: Cable Matters USB-C to DisplayPort 4K 60Hz Cable in Black (Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible) - 6 Feet: Computer…

Hope this helps!

Jun 13, 2017 11:22 AM in response to Alex--

Hi... Just ordered the new 2017 MBP. I have the same question.... I have two dell 3440x1440 monitors (currently on a PC -- yes I made the switch to Mac!) and I want to continue to use those monitors. They support DP1.2 and can daisy chain.

I understand we have to buy a $20 USB-C to DisplayPort adapter because Apple doesn't make any adapter that will do DisplayPort.

I've looked at all-in-one solutions like the OWC or Belkin USB-C docks, but they also have only one DP output - and of course they don't say whether or not they support daisy chaining.

Why is this so darn hard?????

Daisy chaining two DisplayPort monitors with late 2016 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.