Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New 6 digit passcode request after reset

I was going to let someone use my old iPhone 5s, so I reset the data, and gave it to them after I checked to see that it started clean with the Hello screen. When they tried to use it, they found that on about the third page of the setup process, it asked for a 6 digit passcode. I had only used a 4 digit code, and that didn't work. I couldn't find any information on this, and was about to give up when I tried 000000. That worked and I can give back the phone with the problem solved, but I am curious what this is about. When the phone is wiped clean, I can't understand why a request for an undocumented password would happen. Did I miss something?

Thanks

iPhone 5s, iOS 10.2

Posted on Mar 4, 2017 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2018 3:03 PM

Same exact thing happened to me. I always had a four digit passcode. A reset was done when the phone was purchased off someone. I had a new phone so just used this as a secondary..no passcode needed to get in to it ever..long story short.new phone got stolen and i did a find my iphone for the wrong phone and it locked me out of secondary phone. Now I cant get in and am being told by Apple only solution is to restore and wipe phone of all its contents...contacts, pics etc. My backup was full so info had not been backed up in years and alot of needed info, bookmarks and pics on this phone. Its now asking me for a 6digit passcode...I never had six digit ..always four..nothing works..every time I try one it makes me wait another hour until i can try another...Apple does nothing for this issue if you call and spend hours on the phone..they actually made it worse by prompting me to delete the phone all together from my icloud account so now i have no info on the phone at all and no proof of it ever being connected to my icloud. HELP Obviously others have had this issue..i need that six digit passcode to use my phone but i only had a 4digit passcode. Not fair apple! Another set up for them to sell more products and phones if you ask me.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2018 3:03 PM in response to dwhitebread

Same exact thing happened to me. I always had a four digit passcode. A reset was done when the phone was purchased off someone. I had a new phone so just used this as a secondary..no passcode needed to get in to it ever..long story short.new phone got stolen and i did a find my iphone for the wrong phone and it locked me out of secondary phone. Now I cant get in and am being told by Apple only solution is to restore and wipe phone of all its contents...contacts, pics etc. My backup was full so info had not been backed up in years and alot of needed info, bookmarks and pics on this phone. Its now asking me for a 6digit passcode...I never had six digit ..always four..nothing works..every time I try one it makes me wait another hour until i can try another...Apple does nothing for this issue if you call and spend hours on the phone..they actually made it worse by prompting me to delete the phone all together from my icloud account so now i have no info on the phone at all and no proof of it ever being connected to my icloud. HELP Obviously others have had this issue..i need that six digit passcode to use my phone but i only had a 4digit passcode. Not fair apple! Another set up for them to sell more products and phones if you ask me.

Oct 3, 2017 8:58 AM in response to dwhitebread

This happened to me recently. I had never used a six digit passcode, but when I put a new SIM card in, it requested one. I had success with this fix, but you have to restore the phone. You will lose all your data unless you have it backed up to your computer or the cloud. I was giving my phone away, so I didn't mind restoring it to factory settings.

Good luck!

How to remove/reset any disabled or Password locked iPhones 6S & 6 Plus/5s/5c/5/4s/4/iPad or iPod - YouTube

Mar 4, 2017 1:26 PM in response to dwhitebread

Hello,

Double check that you followed the steps in this article:

What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

When you erase a iPhone it deletes everything. So when it asked for the password it is asking for the new owner to enter their own personal password. It didn't mean your old four digit password.

Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. On devices without Touch ID, go to Settings > Passcode.

Change your passcode: Enter a new six-digit passcode. Or tap Passcode Options to switch to a four-digit numeric code, a custom numeric code, or a custom alphanumeric code.

More info here:

Use a passcode with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Mar 4, 2017 1:25 PM in response to dwhitebread

I suspect what happened is that the phone after the erase asked you to set up a passcode which by default would be 6 digits now. When you entered a 4 digit code, your old one, it did not allow it. You may have set 000000 as the new code. You can now change it to another 6 digit number (which I suggest) or even a 4 digit number by selecting options.

Sep 25, 2017 4:34 PM in response to dwhitebread

I am having the same issue. I had an old iPhone5 and just put in a new SIM card to give it to someone else, and it's asking me for a 6 digit passcode. I never had a 6 digit passcode, but did what dwhitebread did and put in 000000 just to see if it would work and it didn't. I can't get into the phone to set or change the passcode. The SIM card is brand new, so no other passcode was ever entered. Any thoughts?

New 6 digit passcode request after reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.