Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad won't connect to wifi unless very close to modem - I've tried everything!

My 4th gen iPad only connects to the wifi when it is within a few meters of the modem - beyond that, the wifi signal drops. Never had any problems for a few years now, and nothing has changed - it just started doing it all of a sudden. There has been no recent OS update nor for the modem (which is fine and up-to-date).

I've been researching this for hours now and still no luck - none of the posted solutions seem to work.

I've rebooted the modem, restarted the iPad, closed all the apps, fiddled with the brightness, 'forgot the network', renewed the network lease, changed the wifi channels, changed the wifi security settings and still no luck...

Many MANY thanks to anyone who has any ideas.

iPad, iOS 10.2.1, null

Posted on Mar 5, 2017 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2017 11:01 PM

Honestly if you haven't already then, i'd try a reset all network settings and try again.

But you can also try another wifi network like brian said to try.

That way you can see it's your router or not.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

But if you are still having issues after this, you can always contact apple support to run some tests on your ipad.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2017 11:01 PM in response to ginnymiller

Honestly if you haven't already then, i'd try a reset all network settings and try again.

But you can also try another wifi network like brian said to try.

That way you can see it's your router or not.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

But if you are still having issues after this, you can always contact apple support to run some tests on your ipad.

Mar 6, 2017 12:14 AM in response to ginnymiller

Just as a question, do you have a newer router?

Usually the newer ones have two standard wifi: 2.4ghz and 5ghz

If your wifi isn't good, or you're connected to the 5 ghz

Might make sense because you have to be close to the routher for the 5

It doesn't go through walls well or travel, so you have to be within a certain distance of the routher to see it

I dunno if this is your issue but it might be related

iPad won't connect to wifi unless very close to modem - I've tried everything!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.