Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't receive emails on Apple devices

All of a sudden, on Saturday night, can no longer receive my Comcast emails on my Ipad or my Iphone.

I can send emails, but can't receive them. I get message "Mail Server imap.Comcast.net is not responding. Verify you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings"

I have no problems with Comcast email on my laptop, only on ipad and iphone. Both quit receiving emails at the same time. I can send emails.

No problems with gmail accounts on ipad/iphone

I've deleted the Comcast email account and added it back, I've reset to factory settings, no

Any ideas? Thank you kindly

Posted on Mar 6, 2017 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2017 9:43 AM

Try the following settings:

• Incoming Mail Server Name: imap.comcast.net
  • Incoming Mail Server Port Number:
    • Recommended: 993 with SSL ON
    • Only if Needed: 143 with SSL ON
  • Outgoing Mail Server Name: smtp.comcast.net
  • Outgoing Mail Server Port Number:
    • Recommended: 587 (SMTP)
    • Only if Needed: 465 (SMTPS)
  • SSL Encryption: checked

Not sure if the above will make a difference but it won't hurt to give it a try.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2017 9:43 AM in response to dusty999

Try the following settings:

• Incoming Mail Server Name: imap.comcast.net
  • Incoming Mail Server Port Number:
    • Recommended: 993 with SSL ON
    • Only if Needed: 143 with SSL ON
  • Outgoing Mail Server Name: smtp.comcast.net
  • Outgoing Mail Server Port Number:
    • Recommended: 587 (SMTP)
    • Only if Needed: 465 (SMTPS)
  • SSL Encryption: checked

Not sure if the above will make a difference but it won't hurt to give it a try.

Mar 9, 2017 2:16 PM in response to dusty999

mail.comcast.net is Comcast POP3 mail access. The settings are:

• Incoming Mail Server Name: mail.comcast.net
  • Incoming Mail Server Port Number: 995 (POP3 With SSL) or 110 (POP3 Without SSL)

Not sure if Comcast pulled the plug on POP3 access or doing some sort of maintenance. I would just forget about using POP3 mail. It's obsolete.

Mar 9, 2017 9:29 AM in response to Jimmy Joe Meeker

I've had (and still have) the same problem on my iPod Touch 6th generation for several weeks now. The errors have been changing but it's all the same problem. The first errors said the password was wrong for SMTP. I went into Settings and re-typed the password a thousand times - no help. I tried on another day and it said my IMAP password was invalid. Again I typed in the correct password over & over (I know it's correct because it works on the Comcast website).

Today I just tried again - retyping the password into IMAP & SMTP and right now it says "Cannot Get Mail. The mail server "mail.comcast.net" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings."

I even checked the port settings against what I have on my iPad Mini, which is still working for Comcast email - the ports are the same.

And... I don't know if this is related or not, but maybe it is - on my MacBook Pro a few minutes ago, I clicked Quit Mail. When I opened Mail again, I'm now getting asked for my Comcast password and when I put it in it says it's an unverified email address or password. I tried to fix it in Settings, Internet Accounts but I'm getting the same error there too.

So maybe the problem happens when you quit Mail - not sure. On the iPod Touch though I just hadn't used the Mail function for a long time.

Mar 9, 2017 1:42 PM in response to ShagCA

Yes, that turned out to be the answer for the iPod Touch! 🙂 I ended up calling Apple Care, and "mail.comcast.net" was the problem - it had to be changed to "imap.comcast.net". So...the iPod filled in that info by itself when I set up the account, and apparently it's old info. I hope something else in those settings helps Jimmy Joe Meeker though because he said he's already using imap.comcast.net. Also like Jimmy, I recently tried resetting it to factory settings too meaning, as of only about a week ago, it was still automatically putting old info into my incoming mail server, so Jimmy take a second look there - it seems automated to put in the old wrong info.

For the MacBook, the support guy had me delete my email account (from System Preferences, Internet Accounts) and then add it back in again as new. It then started downloading all 14,000 of my emails (arghh) but got stuck every few minutes and he told me to click the Refresh Mail icon when it did that (picture of envelope) which worked fine.

Can't receive emails on Apple devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.