Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Japanese Keyboard Macbook

I'm planning to buy a Macbook Pro this week. I have no knowledge with MacOS, this macbook will be my first Mac computer. I can purchase one directly at Apple and pick US Keyboard but my local camera store has the same specs that I want but with Japanese keyboard + I will get a 5% points for buying the Macbook (About $100) that I can use for buying a external hard drive. My question is, other than the keyboard being physically different. Will I have any other problems or concerns with it? Also, will the mapping still be the same? On my windows laptop (English installed) that I hooked up on a TV, I use a bluetooth keyboard that I bought here in Japan and I found that some of the key's mapping (i.e punctuation marks) are different and it is become very annoying. At the mean time I'm currently working as a crew at a fast food restaurant and not planning to use the Japanese keyboard anytime soon. I just want to save some money.

Posted on Mar 6, 2017 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2017 3:39 PM

Hi Omersang,

Omersang wrote:

For example, I have the japan keyboard macbook pro. Then on the set up i choose the english. If I hit shift + 8 will it output "*" or "("?

You will get "(".

In basic, the key will be based on the label on the key top.

Here is the list of key layout ( with keyboard viewer - macOS Sierra: Use the Keyboard Viewer ) on my MacBook Pro (JIS) with U.S. as input method.

Normal

User uploaded file

with Shift key hold down

User uploaded file

with option key hold down

User uploaded file

with option and shift key hold down

User uploaded file

The keys in orange are (so-called) dead keys, which are for some special characters with combination.

e.g. type `option'+`u' then `o' will make "ö" as the result.

# 英数 : ENSUU, shortcut for alphanumeric

# かな : KANA , shortcut for hiragana, and for katakana with `shift'

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2017 3:39 PM in response to Omersang

Hi Omersang,

Omersang wrote:

For example, I have the japan keyboard macbook pro. Then on the set up i choose the english. If I hit shift + 8 will it output "*" or "("?

You will get "(".

In basic, the key will be based on the label on the key top.

Here is the list of key layout ( with keyboard viewer - macOS Sierra: Use the Keyboard Viewer ) on my MacBook Pro (JIS) with U.S. as input method.

Normal

User uploaded file

with Shift key hold down

User uploaded file

with option key hold down

User uploaded file

with option and shift key hold down

User uploaded file

The keys in orange are (so-called) dead keys, which are for some special characters with combination.

e.g. type `option'+`u' then `o' will make "ö" as the result.

# 英数 : ENSUU, shortcut for alphanumeric

# かな : KANA , shortcut for hiragana, and for katakana with `shift'

Mar 6, 2017 12:18 PM in response to Omersang

The standard configuration of Macs in Japan come with Japanese Keyboard as TomGewecke says.

[ Japanese keyboard has additional two special key on side of space key for switching the input method between alphabet and Japanese ]

Japanese keyboard is based on JIS ( Japan Industry Standard ), which has some difference from ASCII-based US version.

Omersang wrote:

Will I have any other problems or concerns with it?

No, other than keyboard layout, every things work in the same way as US version.

You can order US keyboard CTO at some Apple Premium Reseller, although you may need to wait a few weeks to get delivered as CTO version is less likely in stock. So, try asking shop assistant for it.

Here is a link to a discussion at a price-comparison site. (In Japanese)

http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0000752291/SortID=18596725/

Hoping this can be a help.

Japanese Keyboard Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.