Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Smart Battery Case charging problems

I have the iPhone Smart Battery Case for the iPhone 6. I keep getting errors it is a not approved accessory. It charges, then stops as I keep hearing it ding. Last night the battery case was at 2% and phone was at 77%. I cleaned the contacts on both sides and no avail.

I have replaced it and same thing still occurs. It is not the case, it is Apple being Apple, as it charges fine on its own. It only has issues when charging when mated to the iphone at the same time. The iphone itself charges fine on its own. So therefore its either the lightning connector inside the smart case, or the iOS firmware rejecting it.

Why would this keep occurring? I want a real answer and not one that says see Apple because it doesn't make logical sense.

iPhone 6, iOS 10.2

Posted on Mar 7, 2017 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2017 3:32 AM

Hi

The following steps may help:

• Check the charging port on the case and on your iPhone for any debris or lint.
  • Remove your iPhone from the case and then reattach it.
  • Unplug your Lightning to USB Cable from power and then plug the cable back in.
  • Check that you are using a genuine Apple or MFi-certified cable.

If possible, also test using another such cable.

• Apple also recommends using genuine Apple USB Power Adapters.

More information:

Charge your iPhone with your Smart Battery Case - Apple Support

If the issue persists, I suggest that you contact Apple Support, make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider to arrange for your products to be checked and, if necessary, serviced:

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2017 3:32 AM in response to jweinraub

Hi

The following steps may help:

• Check the charging port on the case and on your iPhone for any debris or lint.
  • Remove your iPhone from the case and then reattach it.
  • Unplug your Lightning to USB Cable from power and then plug the cable back in.
  • Check that you are using a genuine Apple or MFi-certified cable.

If possible, also test using another such cable.

• Apple also recommends using genuine Apple USB Power Adapters.

More information:

Charge your iPhone with your Smart Battery Case - Apple Support

If the issue persists, I suggest that you contact Apple Support, make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider to arrange for your products to be checked and, if necessary, serviced:

Mar 17, 2017 6:42 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Unfortunately I have tried to no avail several usb cables, all genuine with genuine adaptors attached to the mains. The phone makes a constant beeping sound as if its being plugged in the initial time. So it is similar to being plugged in and out again. It is interesting to note how the phone and smartcase charge fine on their own, as the orange light does not flicker when charging on its own proving the connexion is good. And the fact the phone itself remains charged throughout the day.

Mar 22, 2017 10:08 AM in response to McDonney11

Unfortunately as of today with a new smart battery case has started doing the same thing but nowhere near as strange as before. Today it dipped down to 94% on the phone while the battery case was at 38% and showing that it was charging the phone. I removed the case and replaced it and it's now slowly bringing the phone back to 100%. Currently at 96%.

Mar 22, 2017 11:42 AM in response to McDonney11

Mine started dipping rapidly too. I ended up getting a new one. Got white instead since i had the black one with the black phone and quite frankly, the white case is hot as heck. That being said, I no longer have the problem. However, my original replacement worked too initially. I have a fortnight now to return it, so if the problem does come back, I will make a genius appointment to get to the bottom of it. I am not too sure when I bought the original one, but I really didnt want to make an appointment to exchange a battery case, that is my biggest gripe with genius bar these days.

iPhone Smart Battery Case charging problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.